Re: [Czechlist] TERM: pitny rezim

  • Martin Bednarski
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
      Thanks for al suggestions.

      I will try soem rephrasing then.

      I am translating descriptions of various herbal teas, with the rosehip and camomile tea being "vhody pro vsechny prilezitosti a idealni pro pitny rezim".
      Would "suitable for all occasions and ideal for maintaining your fluid intake" sound OK to native speaker?

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
        Gerry, English does use a technical term similar to the Czech one in
        certain contexts. The terms "water regimen", "fluid regimen" are
        used in contexts where people are not only being "encouraged to drink
        plenty of fluids", but where this fluid intake is being formally
        planned and administered. So, in that case, "fluid intake" wouldn't
        work, because the regimen is the planning and administration of the
        intake, but it's not the intake. Calling a fluid regimen "fluid
        intake" would be like calling gasoline distribution "gasoline
        consumption". They're related, but not the same thing.

        In the situation Hana mentioned, at a camp, "fluid regimen" is
        appropriate, because it describes the camp's fluid intake PLAN, not
        the actual fluid consumption. It's a quasi-medical phenomenon and
        calls for a quasi-technical term, which English has.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
          On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Martin Bednarski wrote:

          > Would "suitable for all occasions and ideal for maintaining your
          > fluid intake" sound OK to native speaker?

          Yeah, I like that.

          You can even leave out "your", if you want.

        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
            That's why you need to add 'remember to...' or 'make sure you...' or 'watch your...' or similar.

            'Fluid regimen' might work in English in a highly technical context such as a medical paper or similar, but only there.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
              Yep. Fine.

              Valerie

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                > 'Fluid regimen' might work in English in a highly technical context
                > such as a medical paper or similar, but only there.

                We Yanks may differ in this, because we'd be likely to use the term
                in ordinary language, when discussing athletes' training or
                children's diets.