Re: [Czechlist] TERM: pitny rezim

  • Hana Jarolímová
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2 3:35 AM
      Jamie, ten "pitny rezim" se pouziva nejen v laznich.

      Napriklad na letaku do letniho tabora je napsano, ze budou dbat, aby
      deti dodrzovaly pitny rezim nebo ve skole vybiraji kazde ctvrtleti XXX
      Kc na "pitny rezim". Proste se za vybrane penize vari caje (a cukr),
      vody a dzusy, aby deti dost pily.

      Ale s anglickym terminem neporadim :(

      Hanka
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2 3:41 AM
        I see.

        If it's for lazenske hosty, I think it should be called a "mineral
        water regimen".

        If it is for kids at camp or some situation similar to what you
        describe, and does not involve only water, it can be called a "fluid
        regimen".

        Jamie

        On Jul 2, 2007, at 6:35 AM, Hana Jarolímová wrote:

        > Jamie, ten "pitny rezim" se pouziva nejen v laznich.
        >
        > Napriklad na letaku do letniho tabora je napsano, ze budou dbat, aby
        > deti dodrzovaly pitny rezim nebo ve skole vybiraji kazde ctvrtleti XXX
        > Kc na "pitny rezim". Proste se za vybrane penize vari caje (a cukr),
        > vody a dzusy, aby deti dost pily.
        >
        > Ale s anglickym terminem neporadim :(
        >
        > Hanka

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2 3:49 AM
          This is one of those instances where Czech uses a quasi-technical term,
          where English wouldn't. You don't provide a context, but I would have
          thought that your "fluid intake" should fit the bill, unless it simply means
          "remember to drink enough water" during the day. In his column in this
          morning's MF Dnes, for instance, Dr Jan Pirk writes: "Vzhledem k tomu, ze
          vsichni odbornici doporucuji dodrzovat pitny rezim, nedavno jsme s jednim
          kolegou ... stavili... v popularni hospudce:.." Here I would translate it as
          "experts recommend us to drink enough fluids".

          FWIW

          Gerry

          On 02/07/07, Martin Bednarski <bednarski@...> wrote:

          > Hi there!
          > Anyone has any idea how "pitny rezim" translates into English?
          > My best non-Czenglish equivalent (such as "drinking regimen") so far is
          > "fluid intake" (prijem tekutin), but it is clearly not exactly the same
          > thing.
          >
          > Any better ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Martin
          >

          > Anglicke krouzky:
          > http://zehrovak.googlepages.com/circles
          >
          > Lokativ - terminologicky slovnik:
          > http://www.lokativ.com

          Czech-In Translations
          V lesíčku 5
          150 00 Prague 5
          Czech Republic
          Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

          Experience*Style*Precision

        • Martin Bednarski
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2 4:00 AM
            Thanks for al suggestions.

            I will try soem rephrasing then.

            I am translating descriptions of various herbal teas, with the rosehip and camomile tea being "vhody pro vsechny prilezitosti a idealni pro pitny rezim".
            Would "suitable for all occasions and ideal for maintaining your fluid intake" sound OK to native speaker?

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2 4:05 AM
              Gerry, English does use a technical term similar to the Czech one in
              certain contexts. The terms "water regimen", "fluid regimen" are
              used in contexts where people are not only being "encouraged to drink
              plenty of fluids", but where this fluid intake is being formally
              planned and administered. So, in that case, "fluid intake" wouldn't
              work, because the regimen is the planning and administration of the
              intake, but it's not the intake. Calling a fluid regimen "fluid
              intake" would be like calling gasoline distribution "gasoline
              consumption". They're related, but not the same thing.

              In the situation Hana mentioned, at a camp, "fluid regimen" is
              appropriate, because it describes the camp's fluid intake PLAN, not
              the actual fluid consumption. It's a quasi-medical phenomenon and
              calls for a quasi-technical term, which English has.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2 4:14 AM
                On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Martin Bednarski wrote:

                > Would "suitable for all occasions and ideal for maintaining your
                > fluid intake" sound OK to native speaker?

                Yeah, I like that.

                You can even leave out "your", if you want.

              • Valerie Talacko
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2 4:15 AM
                  That's why you need to add 'remember to...' or 'make sure you...' or 'watch your...' or similar.

                  'Fluid regimen' might work in English in a highly technical context such as a medical paper or similar, but only there.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2 4:17 AM
                    Yep. Fine.

                    Valerie

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 2 4:24 AM
                      On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                      > 'Fluid regimen' might work in English in a highly technical context
                      > such as a medical paper or similar, but only there.

                      We Yanks may differ in this, because we'd be likely to use the term
                      in ordinary language, when discussing athletes' training or
                      children's diets.