TERM: pitny rezim

  • Martin Bednarski
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hi there!
      Anyone has any idea how "pitny rezim" translates into English?
      My best non-Czenglish equivalent (such as "drinking regimen") so far is "fluid intake" (prijem tekutin), but it is clearly not exactly the same thing.

      Any better ideas?

      Thanks,

      Martin
    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
        Hello,

        You have to completely rephrase it and say something like 'Make sure you
        drink plenty of water' or whatever fits the context (in that context you
        could also say 'watch your fluid intake.')

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
          You must be translating something about spa treatments.

          English has no equivalents to a lot of terms in that realm, because
          spa treatment is not big in English-speaking countries.

          Care must be taken to make to make sure that the terms we make up
          don't sound Frankensteinish, which unfortunately they do in most
          Czech spa literature -- especially the "gas injections", which are
          something unknown, at least in North American medicine, so people
          have no idea what the term means. All they know is that it sounds
          scary and they don't want anyone doing it to them.

          Anyway, since a "pitny rezim" involves someone being ordered to drink
          certain types of mineral water, I would simply call it a "mineral
          water regimen". That describes what it is, and it won't scare anybody.

          Jamie

          On Jul 2, 2007, at 3:57 AM, Martin Bednarski wrote:

          > Hi there!
          > Anyone has any idea how "pitny rezim" translates into English?
          > My best non-Czenglish equivalent (such as "drinking regimen") so
          > far is "fluid intake" (prijem tekutin), but it is clearly not
          > exactly the same thing.
          >
          > Any better ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Martin
        • Hana Jarolímová
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
            Jamie, ten "pitny rezim" se pouziva nejen v laznich.

            Napriklad na letaku do letniho tabora je napsano, ze budou dbat, aby
            deti dodrzovaly pitny rezim nebo ve skole vybiraji kazde ctvrtleti XXX
            Kc na "pitny rezim". Proste se za vybrane penize vari caje (a cukr),
            vody a dzusy, aby deti dost pily.

            Ale s anglickym terminem neporadim :(

            Hanka
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
              I see.

              If it's for lazenske hosty, I think it should be called a "mineral
              water regimen".

              If it is for kids at camp or some situation similar to what you
              describe, and does not involve only water, it can be called a "fluid
              regimen".

              Jamie

              On Jul 2, 2007, at 6:35 AM, Hana Jarolímová wrote:

              > Jamie, ten "pitny rezim" se pouziva nejen v laznich.
              >
              > Napriklad na letaku do letniho tabora je napsano, ze budou dbat, aby
              > deti dodrzovaly pitny rezim nebo ve skole vybiraji kazde ctvrtleti XXX
              > Kc na "pitny rezim". Proste se za vybrane penize vari caje (a cukr),
              > vody a dzusy, aby deti dost pily.
              >
              > Ale s anglickym terminem neporadim :(
              >
              > Hanka

            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                This is one of those instances where Czech uses a quasi-technical term,
                where English wouldn't. You don't provide a context, but I would have
                thought that your "fluid intake" should fit the bill, unless it simply means
                "remember to drink enough water" during the day. In his column in this
                morning's MF Dnes, for instance, Dr Jan Pirk writes: "Vzhledem k tomu, ze
                vsichni odbornici doporucuji dodrzovat pitny rezim, nedavno jsme s jednim
                kolegou ... stavili... v popularni hospudce:.." Here I would translate it as
                "experts recommend us to drink enough fluids".

                FWIW

                Gerry

                On 02/07/07, Martin Bednarski <bednarski@...> wrote:

                > Hi there!
                > Anyone has any idea how "pitny rezim" translates into English?
                > My best non-Czenglish equivalent (such as "drinking regimen") so far is
                > "fluid intake" (prijem tekutin), but it is clearly not exactly the same
                > thing.
                >
                > Any better ideas?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Martin
                >

                > Anglicke krouzky:
                > http://zehrovak.googlepages.com/circles
                >
                > Lokativ - terminologicky slovnik:
                > http://www.lokativ.com

                Czech-In Translations
                V lesíčku 5
                150 00 Prague 5
                Czech Republic
                Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

                Experience*Style*Precision

              • Martin Bednarski
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                  Thanks for al suggestions.

                  I will try soem rephrasing then.

                  I am translating descriptions of various herbal teas, with the rosehip and camomile tea being "vhody pro vsechny prilezitosti a idealni pro pitny rezim".
                  Would "suitable for all occasions and ideal for maintaining your fluid intake" sound OK to native speaker?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                    Gerry, English does use a technical term similar to the Czech one in
                    certain contexts. The terms "water regimen", "fluid regimen" are
                    used in contexts where people are not only being "encouraged to drink
                    plenty of fluids", but where this fluid intake is being formally
                    planned and administered. So, in that case, "fluid intake" wouldn't
                    work, because the regimen is the planning and administration of the
                    intake, but it's not the intake. Calling a fluid regimen "fluid
                    intake" would be like calling gasoline distribution "gasoline
                    consumption". They're related, but not the same thing.

                    In the situation Hana mentioned, at a camp, "fluid regimen" is
                    appropriate, because it describes the camp's fluid intake PLAN, not
                    the actual fluid consumption. It's a quasi-medical phenomenon and
                    calls for a quasi-technical term, which English has.

                    Jamie

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                      On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Martin Bednarski wrote:

                      > Would "suitable for all occasions and ideal for maintaining your
                      > fluid intake" sound OK to native speaker?

                      Yeah, I like that.

                      You can even leave out "your", if you want.

                    • Valerie Talacko
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                        That's why you need to add 'remember to...' or 'make sure you...' or 'watch your...' or similar.

                        'Fluid regimen' might work in English in a highly technical context such as a medical paper or similar, but only there.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                          Yep. Fine.

                          Valerie

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
                            On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                            > 'Fluid regimen' might work in English in a highly technical context
                            > such as a medical paper or similar, but only there.

                            We Yanks may differ in this, because we'd be likely to use the term
                            in ordinary language, when discussing athletes' training or
                            children's diets.