Re: [Czechlist] HELP - "splneni zavazku, kterymi jsme se k modernizaci zavazali"

  • Hana Jarolímová
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
      Ahoj,

      je to typicka nic nerikajici formulace, jakych bohuzel byva v ceskych
      textech vic nez dost.

      Modernizuji to, protoze musi (zavazali se k tomu) a protoze chteji
      vytvorit kvalitni spojeni.

      Takze neco jako: the purpose of modernising is to fulfill our
      international obligations and to create a reliable transport connection...

      Hanka
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
        Oooh, don't you get 50 points for one of those instrumentals? :-) I'd
        understand it very literally as "fulfilling obligations under which we
        have committed ourselves to modernization". I'm sure it can be
        translated more elegantly than that, but that is my quick and dirty
        word-for-word version.

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Spacilova" <spacils@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I just don't understand the "k modernizaci" part. Full context -- an
        > article about modernising the railroad network:
        >
        > "Modernizací koridoru sledujeme predevsím:
        >
        > - dosa¾ení kvalitního napojení na evropskou sít a **splnení
        > mezinárodních závazku, kterými jsme se k modernizaci zavázali**
        >
        > - atd."
        >
        > In modernising the corridor, we mainly aim to ... **fulfil
        > international obligations which we have committed ourselves to
        > modernise**??? How do you modernise an obligation? Does this make
        > sense to someone else?
        >
        > Perplexed,
        >
        > Liz

      • Liz Spacilova
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
          Thanks Alena, Hana, Melvyn. I think I am at the part of the
          translation where the author was tired and the translator is also
          tired.

          Cheers

          Liz
        • Vladimir Lopata
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
            My main proofreader is on vacation from the 17th July, therefore I need
            someone who will substitute him.

            If interested, please send CV + rates.

            Vladimir Lopata

            Mobile. 603 181587