Re: [Czechlist] HELP - "splneni zavazku, kterymi jsme se k modernizaci zavazali"

  • Agentura 2e preklady
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 10:30 AM
      It is not the obligation they modernize, but the corridor, and there were international obligations they had accepted to that effect.
      Alena

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 10:32 AM
        Ahoj,

        je to typicka nic nerikajici formulace, jakych bohuzel byva v ceskych
        textech vic nez dost.

        Modernizuji to, protoze musi (zavazali se k tomu) a protoze chteji
        vytvorit kvalitni spojeni.

        Takze neco jako: the purpose of modernising is to fulfill our
        international obligations and to create a reliable transport connection...

        Hanka
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 10:34 AM
          Oooh, don't you get 50 points for one of those instrumentals? :-) I'd
          understand it very literally as "fulfilling obligations under which we
          have committed ourselves to modernization". I'm sure it can be
          translated more elegantly than that, but that is my quick and dirty
          word-for-word version.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Spacilova" <spacils@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I just don't understand the "k modernizaci" part. Full context -- an
          > article about modernising the railroad network:
          >
          > "Modernizací koridoru sledujeme predevsím:
          >
          > - dosa¾ení kvalitního napojení na evropskou sít a **splnení
          > mezinárodních závazku, kterými jsme se k modernizaci zavázali**
          >
          > - atd."
          >
          > In modernising the corridor, we mainly aim to ... **fulfil
          > international obligations which we have committed ourselves to
          > modernise**??? How do you modernise an obligation? Does this make
          > sense to someone else?
          >
          > Perplexed,
          >
          > Liz

        • Liz Spacilova
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 10:55 AM
            Thanks Alena, Hana, Melvyn. I think I am at the part of the
            translation where the author was tired and the translator is also
            tired.

            Cheers

            Liz
          • Vladimir Lopata
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2 8:49 AM
              My main proofreader is on vacation from the 17th July, therefore I need
              someone who will substitute him.

              If interested, please send CV + rates.

              Vladimir Lopata

              Mobile. 603 181587