Re: [Czechlist] Who cuts women's hair?

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
      On Jun 28, 2007, at 2:42 AM, ��rka Rubkov� wrote:

      > Thirded, I go to holic as well. Jamie, you have to realise that you
      > were
      > staing in Marianske Lazne nearby German borders and colloquial
      > language of
      > local people was and still is mcuh influenced by German language
      > (that's
      > where frizer and knobloch come from)

      Sure. I know that kids from east of Plzen didn't know what knobloch
      meant, but they all seemed to use the word friz�r. Hmm.

      Another thing I noticed was that people in Marianske Lazne will mix
      other languages (not only German) into their Czech just for comic
      effect. I thought this was a normal thing to do in Czech until I had
      moved home and was supposed to escort some dignitaries from north of
      Prague around town. We were laughing about something, I mixed some
      German or French or something into my Czech just to get the right
      effect, and the men didn't understand me and looked at me blankly,
      wondering why I was suddenly talking like that.

      As for these Germanisms being mainly characteristic of old people, I
      learned most of them from high school kids whose parents were in
      their 30s, so it may have been more a matter of the region than of
      the age.

      Thanks to all who have explained this to me. I think "holic" for
      women must be one of those usages that bounced off my skull while I
      was over there. People learning a language have a tendency to think
      words or expressions don't exist, and once they learn them they'll
      hear them jumping out of everywhere all day.

      While we're talking about women going to a holic, I might as well
      share a little perlicka from one of my ESL classes here in the
      States. A young Chaldean woman was describing to the class her life
      in Baghdad during the first Gulf War. She said, "I was on the floor
      of my apartment, the bombs were blowing up, the building was
      shaking. We didn't have heat, water or electrolysis for three months
      after that!"