Re: [Czechlist] Re: Help en-cz Department of Health

  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
      Hi, Liz!
      I suppose that the term I have suggested would convey the meaning that the department is in charge of health care (generally, for all) and services for the elderly (mostly concerning health as well, but also social welfare, etc.).
      Regards,
      Jarda

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
        In the elementary Czech textbook I'm teaching with now, men and women
        alike keep going "k holici". When Alena jde k holici, I keep
        imagining her with a face full of shaving cream.

        I am relatively certain that during my time in the CSSR, the CSFR and
        the CR, I never heard of a woman going to a holic. As I remember,
        all women went either to a kadernice or a frizér, but neither word
        appears in this book. Czechs are not among the nations whose women
        need to shave, so I don't see why a Czech woman would go to a holic.

        Can anyone illuminate?

        Jamie
      • Michaela Pekarkova

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
            Was I in a vacuum bubble? I wonder why I only heard frizér and
            kadernice. Maybe holic just bounced off my skull. Is this usage
            relatively recent, or have people been saying it for a long time?

            Of course, I also heard words like "knobloch" a lot too.

            Jamie

            On Jun 28, 2007, at 12:37 AM, Michaela Pekarkova wrote:

            > Yes, but it´s a common phrase used here, although it has no logic :-)
            > I myself usually go "k holicce"
            > Misa

          • Michaela Pekarkova
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
              I have never heard anybody using words like "knobloch" or "frizér" :-)
              But in my family everybody has always said "holic" or "holicka" as far as I remember.
              Misa

              < Was I in a vacuum bubble? I wonder why I only heard frizér and
              < kadernice. Maybe holic just bounced off my skull. Is this usage
              < relatively recent, or have people been saying it for a long time?
              <
              < Of course, I also heard words like "knobloch" a lot too.
              <
              < Jamie
              <
              < On Jun 28, 2007, at 12:37 AM, Michaela Pekarkova wrote:
              <
              < > Yes, but it´s a common phrase used here, although it has no logic :-)
              < > I myself usually go "k holicce"
              < > Misa
              < >
              < >
              < >
              < > < ----------------------------------------
              < > < In the elementary Czech textbook I'm teaching with now, men and
              < > women
              < > < alike keep going "k holici". When Alena jde k holici, I keep
              < > < imagining her with a face full of shaving cream.
              < > <
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                Seconded - my wife usually goes to holic too. And when I go to holic, I
                never do so to be shaved. I guess holic is a common part of causal
                vocabulary while the correct formal word is kadernik, even for males.
                This is at least a common Prague usage, might be different somewhere
                else. Don't think that's particular new.

                Knobloch is just a common family name, but I can imagine some old
                people might use it to refer to garlic, especially in some parts of
                countryside (maybe West Bohemia?) Generally, these German-derived words
                are rather slang and connected to old people - they are disappearing
                more and more.

                hth
                Martin

              • Šárka Rubková
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                  Thirded, I go to holic as well. Jamie, you have to realise that you were
                  staing in Marianske Lazne nearby German borders and colloquial language of
                  local people was and still is mcuh influenced by German language (that's
                  where frizer and knobloch come from)

                  sarka

                  Seconded - my wife usually goes to holic too. And when I go to holic, I
                  never do so to be shaved. I guess holic is a common part of causal
                  vocabulary while the correct formal word is kadernik, even for males.
                  This is at least a common Prague usage, might be different somewhere else.
                  Don't think that's particular new.

                  Knobloch is just a common family name, but I can imagine some old people
                  might use it to refer to garlic, especially in some parts of countryside
                  (maybe West Bohemia?) Generally, these German-derived words are rather slang
                  and connected to old people - they are disappearing more and more.

                  hth
                  Martin

                  Michaela Pekarkova napsal(a):
                  > I have never heard anybody using words like "knobloch" or "frizér" :-)
                  > But in my family everybody has always said "holic" or "holicka" as far as
                  I remember.
                  > Misa

                  23:54
                • Agentura 2e překlady
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
                    "foured" ;o)
                    I go to holic, not holicka, even if she is a lady. Not only in Prague, but
                    back in Moravia, too. Never said nor heard frizeer, though my mother used to
                    say "nechat si udelat frizuuru".
                    Alena

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
                      On Jun 28, 2007, at 2:42 AM, ��rka Rubkov� wrote:

                      > Thirded, I go to holic as well. Jamie, you have to realise that you
                      > were
                      > staing in Marianske Lazne nearby German borders and colloquial
                      > language of
                      > local people was and still is mcuh influenced by German language
                      > (that's
                      > where frizer and knobloch come from)

                      Sure. I know that kids from east of Plzen didn't know what knobloch
                      meant, but they all seemed to use the word friz�r. Hmm.

                      Another thing I noticed was that people in Marianske Lazne will mix
                      other languages (not only German) into their Czech just for comic
                      effect. I thought this was a normal thing to do in Czech until I had
                      moved home and was supposed to escort some dignitaries from north of
                      Prague around town. We were laughing about something, I mixed some
                      German or French or something into my Czech just to get the right
                      effect, and the men didn't understand me and looked at me blankly,
                      wondering why I was suddenly talking like that.

                      As for these Germanisms being mainly characteristic of old people, I
                      learned most of them from high school kids whose parents were in
                      their 30s, so it may have been more a matter of the region than of
                      the age.

                      Thanks to all who have explained this to me. I think "holic" for
                      women must be one of those usages that bounced off my skull while I
                      was over there. People learning a language have a tendency to think
                      words or expressions don't exist, and once they learn them they'll
                      hear them jumping out of everywhere all day.

                      While we're talking about women going to a holic, I might as well
                      share a little perlicka from one of my ESL classes here in the
                      States. A young Chaldean woman was describing to the class her life
                      in Baghdad during the first Gulf War. She said, "I was on the floor
                      of my apartment, the bombs were blowing up, the building was
                      shaking. We didn't have heat, water or electrolysis for three months
                      after that!"