Help en-cz Department of Health

  • Helena Subrtova
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 24, 2007
      Dobry den,
      zajimalo by mne, zda oficialni nazev Department of Health and Senior
      Services (New Jersey) staci prelozit pouze jako Ministerstvo zdravotnictvi.
      Predem dekuji.
      Helena
    • Liz Spacilova
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 24, 2007
        Hi,

        IMO - it depends how official your document is. Calling it
        Ministerstvo zdravotnictvi (or you may want to consider Odbor
        zdravotnictvi, which is what these departments are called in the
        kraje) is like calling the Czech Ministerstvo skolstvi, mladeze a
        telovychovy just the Ministry of Education -- a common "abbreviation"
        but not the official name as it does not cover everything the ministry
        handles.

        As the New Jersey Dept of Health + Senior Services also covers senior
        citizen services (normally handled here by MPSV) it would not hurt to
        include the second part of their name.

        Have a nice Sunday

        Liz

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@...>
        wrote:

        > Dobry den,
        > zajimalo by mne, zda oficialni nazev Department of Health and Senior
        > Services (New Jersey) staci prelozit pouze jako Ministerstvo
        zdravotnictvi.
        > Predem dekuji.
        > Helena

      • Helena Subrtova
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 24, 2007
          Hi Liz,
          it is on a birth certificate.
          Helena

          Liz Spacilova napsal(a):

          > Hi,
          >
          > IMO - it depends how official your document is. Calling it
          > Ministerstvo zdravotnictvi (or you may want to consider Odbor
          > zdravotnictvi, which is what these departments are called in the
          > kraje) is like calling the Czech Ministerstvo skolstvi, mladeze a
          > telovychovy just the Ministry of Education -- a common "abbreviation"
          > but not the official name as it does not cover everything the ministry
          > handles.
          >
          > As the New Jersey Dept of Health + Senior Services also covers senior
          > citizen services (normally handled here by MPSV) it would not hurt to
          > include the second part of their name.
          >
          > Have a nice Sunday
          >
          > Liz

          > Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Dobry den,
          > > zajimalo by mne, zda oficialni nazev Department of Health and Senior
          > > Services (New Jersey) staci prelozit pouze jako Ministerstvo
          > zdravotnictvi.
          > > Predem dekuji.
          > > Helena

        • Liz Spacilova
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 24, 2007
            Wow, I just pulled out a copy of my translated birth certificate and
            the department of health was translated as "DEPARTMENT ZDRAVOTNICTVI".
            Hmmm...

            So I think just zdravotnictvi would be just fine in this case.

            wrote:

            > Hi Liz,
            > it is on a birth certificate.
            > Helena

          • kzgafas
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 24, 2007
              Ministerstvo zdravotnictvi a socialnich veci new statu Jersey?

              Osobne bych tam pridal ...statu New Jersey, abych zduraznil, ze se
              nejedna o ministerstvo federalní.

              K.

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@...> wrote:

              > Dobry den,
              > zajimalo by mne, zda oficialni nazev Department of Health and Senior
              > Services (New Jersey) staci prelozit pouze jako Ministerstvo
              zdravotnictvi.
              > Predem dekuji.
              > Helena

            • Liz Spacilova
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 25, 2007
                Hi K,

                The "senior services" part of the dept of health and senior services
                is concerned with social support only for senior citizens with a
                particular emphasis on health care -- retirement homes, aid for
                purchasing drugs, hearing aids etc. See
                http://www.state.nj.us/health/ and click through to Seniors and
                caregivers.

                Socialni veci is much more far-reaching and covers all age groups.

                Nothing equivalent exists in the Czech Republic and I am not sure if
                a direct translation, e.g. "seniorske sluzby", conveys the same
                meaning.

                For a birth certificate, though, I think ministerstvo zdravotnictvi
                (New Jersey) is perfectly OK.

                - L

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@...> wrote:

                > Ministerstvo zdravotnictvi a socialnich veci new statu Jersey?
                >
                > Osobne bych tam pridal ...statu New Jersey, abych zduraznil, ze se
                > nejedna o ministerstvo federalní.
                >
                > K.
                >
                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@>
                wrote:

                > > Dobry den,
                > > zajimalo by mne, zda oficialni nazev Department of Health and
                Senior
                > > Services (New Jersey) staci prelozit pouze jako Ministerstvo
                > zdravotnictvi.
                > > Predem dekuji.
                > > Helena

              • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 25, 2007
                  Ahoj, Liz!
                  Kdyz uz, tak bych namisto vyrazu "seniorske sluzby" pouzil vyraz "sluzby seniorum" nebo "sluzby pro seniory", takze cele by to mohlo znit treba "Ministerstvo zdravotnictvi a sluzeb pro seniory". Sice nic takoveho nemame, ale myslim, ze je to jednoznacne a nikoho to neurazi.
                  S pozdravem,
                  Jarda

                  The "senior services" part of the dept of health and senior services
                  is concerned with social support only for senior citizens with a
                  particular emphasis on health care -- retirement homes, aid for
                  purchasing drugs, hearing aids etc. See
                  http://www.state.nj.us/health/ and click through to Seniors and
                  caregivers.

                  Socialni veci is much more far-reaching and covers all age groups.

                  Nothing equivalent exists in the Czech Republic and I am not sure if
                  a direct translation, e.g. "seniorske sluzby", conveys the same
                  meaning.

                  For a birth certificate, though, I think ministerstvo zdravotnictvi
                  (New Jersey) is perfectly OK.

                  - L

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@...> wrote:

                  > Ministerstvo zdravotnictvi a socialnich veci new statu Jersey?
                  >
                  > Osobne bych tam pridal ...statu New Jersey, abych zduraznil, ze se
                  > nejedna o ministerstvo federalní.
                  >
                  > K.
                  >
                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Helena Subrtova <HSubrtova@>
                  wrote:

                  > > Dobry den,
                  > > zajimalo by mne, zda oficialni nazev Department of Health and
                  Senior
                  > > Services (New Jersey) staci prelozit pouze jako Ministerstvo
                  > zdravotnictvi.
                  > > Predem dekuji.
                  > > Helena

                • Liz Spacilova
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                    > Kdyz uz, tak bych namisto vyrazu "seniorske sluzby" pouzil
                    vyraz "sluzby seniorum" nebo "sluzby pro seniory", takze cele by to
                    mohlo znit treba "Ministerstvo zdravotnictvi a sluzeb pro seniory".
                    Sice nic takoveho nemame, ale myslim, ze je to jednoznacne a nikoho to
                    neurazi.

                    Hi Jarda,

                    I wonder though if the Czech reader would get the idea that the
                    department would just be concerned with senior citizen health and
                    services? Or would it be clear that the "pro seniory" se jen tyka
                    sluzeb a ne zdravotnictvi?

                    ?,

                    Liz
                  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                      Hi, Liz!
                      I suppose that the term I have suggested would convey the meaning that the department is in charge of health care (generally, for all) and services for the elderly (mostly concerning health as well, but also social welfare, etc.).
                      Regards,
                      Jarda

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                        In the elementary Czech textbook I'm teaching with now, men and women
                        alike keep going "k holici". When Alena jde k holici, I keep
                        imagining her with a face full of shaving cream.

                        I am relatively certain that during my time in the CSSR, the CSFR and
                        the CR, I never heard of a woman going to a holic. As I remember,
                        all women went either to a kadernice or a frizér, but neither word
                        appears in this book. Czechs are not among the nations whose women
                        need to shave, so I don't see why a Czech woman would go to a holic.

                        Can anyone illuminate?

                        Jamie
                      • Michaela Pekarkova

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                            Was I in a vacuum bubble? I wonder why I only heard frizér and
                            kadernice. Maybe holic just bounced off my skull. Is this usage
                            relatively recent, or have people been saying it for a long time?

                            Of course, I also heard words like "knobloch" a lot too.

                            Jamie

                            On Jun 28, 2007, at 12:37 AM, Michaela Pekarkova wrote:

                            > Yes, but it´s a common phrase used here, although it has no logic :-)
                            > I myself usually go "k holicce"
                            > Misa

                          • Michaela Pekarkova
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                              I have never heard anybody using words like "knobloch" or "frizér" :-)
                              But in my family everybody has always said "holic" or "holicka" as far as I remember.
                              Misa

                              < Was I in a vacuum bubble? I wonder why I only heard frizér and
                              < kadernice. Maybe holic just bounced off my skull. Is this usage
                              < relatively recent, or have people been saying it for a long time?
                              <
                              < Of course, I also heard words like "knobloch" a lot too.
                              <
                              < Jamie
                              <
                              < On Jun 28, 2007, at 12:37 AM, Michaela Pekarkova wrote:
                              <
                              < > Yes, but it´s a common phrase used here, although it has no logic :-)
                              < > I myself usually go "k holicce"
                              < > Misa
                              < >
                              < >
                              < >
                              < > < ----------------------------------------
                              < > < In the elementary Czech textbook I'm teaching with now, men and
                              < > women
                              < > < alike keep going "k holici". When Alena jde k holici, I keep
                              < > < imagining her with a face full of shaving cream.
                              < > <
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                                Seconded - my wife usually goes to holic too. And when I go to holic, I
                                never do so to be shaved. I guess holic is a common part of causal
                                vocabulary while the correct formal word is kadernik, even for males.
                                This is at least a common Prague usage, might be different somewhere
                                else. Don't think that's particular new.

                                Knobloch is just a common family name, but I can imagine some old
                                people might use it to refer to garlic, especially in some parts of
                                countryside (maybe West Bohemia?) Generally, these German-derived words
                                are rather slang and connected to old people - they are disappearing
                                more and more.

                                hth
                                Martin

                              • Šárka Rubková
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 27, 2007
                                  Thirded, I go to holic as well. Jamie, you have to realise that you were
                                  staing in Marianske Lazne nearby German borders and colloquial language of
                                  local people was and still is mcuh influenced by German language (that's
                                  where frizer and knobloch come from)

                                  sarka

                                  Seconded - my wife usually goes to holic too. And when I go to holic, I
                                  never do so to be shaved. I guess holic is a common part of causal
                                  vocabulary while the correct formal word is kadernik, even for males.
                                  This is at least a common Prague usage, might be different somewhere else.
                                  Don't think that's particular new.

                                  Knobloch is just a common family name, but I can imagine some old people
                                  might use it to refer to garlic, especially in some parts of countryside
                                  (maybe West Bohemia?) Generally, these German-derived words are rather slang
                                  and connected to old people - they are disappearing more and more.

                                  hth
                                  Martin

                                  Michaela Pekarkova napsal(a):
                                  > I have never heard anybody using words like "knobloch" or "frizér" :-)
                                  > But in my family everybody has always said "holic" or "holicka" as far as
                                  I remember.
                                  > Misa

                                  23:54
                                • Agentura 2e překlady
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
                                    "foured" ;o)
                                    I go to holic, not holicka, even if she is a lady. Not only in Prague, but
                                    back in Moravia, too. Never said nor heard frizeer, though my mother used to
                                    say "nechat si udelat frizuuru".
                                    Alena

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
                                      On Jun 28, 2007, at 2:42 AM, ��rka Rubkov� wrote:

                                      > Thirded, I go to holic as well. Jamie, you have to realise that you
                                      > were
                                      > staing in Marianske Lazne nearby German borders and colloquial
                                      > language of
                                      > local people was and still is mcuh influenced by German language
                                      > (that's
                                      > where frizer and knobloch come from)

                                      Sure. I know that kids from east of Plzen didn't know what knobloch
                                      meant, but they all seemed to use the word friz�r. Hmm.

                                      Another thing I noticed was that people in Marianske Lazne will mix
                                      other languages (not only German) into their Czech just for comic
                                      effect. I thought this was a normal thing to do in Czech until I had
                                      moved home and was supposed to escort some dignitaries from north of
                                      Prague around town. We were laughing about something, I mixed some
                                      German or French or something into my Czech just to get the right
                                      effect, and the men didn't understand me and looked at me blankly,
                                      wondering why I was suddenly talking like that.

                                      As for these Germanisms being mainly characteristic of old people, I
                                      learned most of them from high school kids whose parents were in
                                      their 30s, so it may have been more a matter of the region than of
                                      the age.

                                      Thanks to all who have explained this to me. I think "holic" for
                                      women must be one of those usages that bounced off my skull while I
                                      was over there. People learning a language have a tendency to think
                                      words or expressions don't exist, and once they learn them they'll
                                      hear them jumping out of everywhere all day.

                                      While we're talking about women going to a holic, I might as well
                                      share a little perlicka from one of my ESL classes here in the
                                      States. A young Chaldean woman was describing to the class her life
                                      in Baghdad during the first Gulf War. She said, "I was on the floor
                                      of my apartment, the bombs were blowing up, the building was
                                      shaking. We didn't have heat, water or electrolysis for three months
                                      after that!"