Re: [Czechlist] Rates again

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 22 5:34 AM
      Thanks for your comments, everybody.

      It appears I've got another query from a company that claims they've
      worked out a "system" for attracting and providing massive quantities
      of translation work, but that the "system" "won't work" unless the
      translator offers the same kind of discount. This agency, however,
      at least offers rates that would be reasonable on the other side of
      the Elbe, although they're low here.

      The remark about the "system" not working harks back to a time when I
      was a guy with a 9-to-5 job and looking for a graduate program in
      linguistics to study in. At one local university, the linguistics
      department head told me, "I'll have to warn you that it's no longer a
      night program. We changed that because it was SO inconvenient!" I
      asked, "Who was it inconvenient for?" and he didn't give me an answer.

      Similarly, whether a system works or not is relative to who it works
      for.