Re: CHAT [Czechlist] word associations

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
      In a message dated 11/1/00 9:38:14 AM, mgrant@... writes:

      >>Then I think you should warn Coca Cola too - because Coke is too
      >>similar to _cock_.
      >
      >Bite the wax tadpole, dude.

      Except that people don't say "cock-a-cola". And even if they did, there
      wouldn't be a flock of intellectuals looking through dictionaries, saying, "I
      see no similarity between 'coca' and 'cock', and the Oxford, Random House,
      Webster's Collegiate and Webster's New World do not list soft drink as one of
      the definitions of "cock", even while people on the street were hearing
      "cock" in it.

      Anyway, it's up to your clients, of course, if they want to risk using a name
      that one guy heard the word penis in (where there's one, there are more).
      After all, Chevy was pretty safe in keeping the name "Nova" in Latin America
      for one of its car models, since Spanish has the same word with the same
      meaning, but the Chevy "No va" became one of the all-time classic product
      naming snafus.

      JK
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
        >Anyway, it's up to your clients, of course, if they want to risk using a name
        >that one guy heard the word penis in (where there's one, there are more).

        FWIW, I haven't made a recommendation one way or another, just passed
        on the comments. A couple of people have said that, regardless of the
        somewhat tenuous associations we've been discussing, it's a pretty
        ugly name in Czech anyway.

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954