Re: [Czechlist] Help: longovany

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
      Jamie and/or Coilin should teach us whether "long drink" is a native expression (at least somewhere) - I always thought so, in my opinion there is no Czech expression for that.
      Honza

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
        long drink is a perfectly normal English expression......

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_drink

        (not that wiki is the be all end all, but most of the time it's
        pretty correct)

        On 7.6.2007, at 13:10, James Kirchner wrote:

        > Can a glass be long? Can a drink be long? I thought that both the
        > glass and the drink were tall and that a sausage or a dachshund was
        > long.
        >
        > I always thought "long drink" was Czenglish, similar to the misuse of
        > "ice cream cup".
        >
        > What do the other native speakers say?
        >
        > Jamie
        >
        > On Jun 7, 2007, at 5:20 AM, coilinoc wrote:
        >
        > > Hi there,
        > > Any ideas what this presumable borrowing from English means
        > precisely?
        > >
        > > Two items on a drinks menu:
        > > Kir longovanou Gancii nebo Dobonnetem.
        > > Longovane champagne
        > >
        > > Do they simply mean served in a long glass?
        > >
        > > MTIA
        > > Coilin

      • Jan Culka
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
          Thanks, Jenny
          H.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
            REALLY? Did you ever say "long drink" in the States? I never heard
            it until I got to the CR.

            To me, a "tall drink" sounds like one of those mixed drinks in a tall
            glass, and a "long drink" sounds like "glug, glug, glug, glug,
            glug..." The "long drink" sounds like a kid hogging the drinking
            fountain.

            Off the subject of drinks, though, I'd mention to Jan and others that
            "zmrzlinovy pohar" is often mistranslated as "ice cream cup". In
            normal usage, an ice cream cup is one of those Algida-style paper
            cups (or now they often use plastic cups) that comes with a plastic
            spoon or a wooden spatula. If you google "ice cream cup", among
            pictures of other weird things that aren't ice cream, you'll see a
            lot of these paper and plastic cups, but no zmrzlinove pohary. A
            zmrzlinovy pohar is an ice cream sundae.

            Well, that puts to bed another menu item that bugs me.

            Jamie

            On Jun 7, 2007, at 7:18 AM, Jennifer Hejtmankova wrote:

            > long drink is a perfectly normal English expression......
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_drink
            >
            > (not that wiki is the be all end all, but most of the time it's
            > pretty correct)
            >
            > On 7.6.2007, at 13:10, James Kirchner wrote:
            >
            > > Can a glass be long? Can a drink be long? I thought that both the
            > > glass and the drink were tall and that a sausage or a dachshund was
            > > long.
            > >
            > > I always thought "long drink" was Czenglish, similar to the
            > misuse of
            > > "ice cream cup".
            > >
            > > What do the other native speakers say?
            > >
            > > Jamie
            > >
            > > On Jun 7, 2007, at 5:20 AM, coilinoc wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi there,
            > > > Any ideas what this presumable borrowing from English means
            > > precisely?
            > > >
            > > > Two items on a drinks menu:
            > > > Kir longovanou Gancii nebo Dobonnetem.
            > > > Longovane champagne
            > > >
            > > > Do they simply mean served in a long glass?
            > > >
            > > > MTIA
            > > > Coilin

          • Simon Vollam
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmankova <jenhejt@...>
              wrote:

              > long drink is a perfectly normal English expression......

              Seconded, although I would say that "tall glass" is more usual
              than "long glass".

              I prefer shorts myself. Whose round is it?

              Simon
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                Interesting. Dictionary.com has two dictionary entries for "tall
                drink" but none for "long drink". Hmmmm.

                JK

                On Jun 7, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Simon Vollam wrote:

                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmankova <jenhejt@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > long drink is a perfectly normal English expression......
                >
                > Seconded, although I would say that "tall glass" is more usual
                > than "long glass".
                >
                > I prefer shorts myself. Whose round is it?
                >
                > Simon

              • Helga Listen
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                  Leo (HYPERLINK "http://www.leo.org/"www.leo.org ) knows long drinks in
                  German and in English (HYPERLINK
                  "http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=/gQPU.&search=long+drink"http://dict.leo

                  _____

                  From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                  Of James Kirchner

                  "mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com"Czechlist@..., Jennifer
                  Hejtmankova <jenhejt@...->
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > long drink is a perfectly normal English expression..-....
                  >
                  > Seconded, although I would say that "tall glass" is more usual
                  > than "long glass".
                  >
                  > I prefer shorts myself. Whose round is it?
                  >
                  > Simon

                  Ausgehende eMail ist virenfrei.
                  �berpr�ft durch AVG.
                  Version: 7.5.472 / Virendatenbank: 269.8.11/837 - Ausgabedatum: 06.06.2007
                  14:03

                • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                    http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/13/

                    http://www.onthetable.co.uk/product.php?
                    product=LSA_Long_Drink_Glasses&sproductID=344

                    Seems to me it's clearly a term that used in bartending circles....as
                    is the term "highball"...are they interchangeable?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                      No, "long drink" and "highball" are definitely not interchangeable.

                      A highball is not a "long drink", but is usually served in a low
                      glass. It's whiskey and ginger ale with ice added. So it's the name
                      of a specific drink, not of a type of drink.

                      If you guys say that "long drink" is used by native speakers, then it
                      must be used, and I can see it attested in various bartending sites.

                      The mystery, though, is why I can find "tall drink" in real,
                      established dictionaries (American Heritage, Random House,
                      Infoplease, etc.), but not "long drink". I can find "long drink" in
                      Wikipedia, which is not professionally compiled, and in the
                      occasionally Germlish-influenced LEO. Other than that, I've found it
                      only in the Oxford Duden German-English dictionary. The Webster
                      dictionaries list neither of them.

                      Whatever.

                      Jamie

                      On Jun 7, 2007, at 8:07 AM, Jennifer Hejtmankova wrote:

                      > http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/13/
                      >
                      > http://www.onthetable.co.uk/product.php?
                      > product=LSA_Long_Drink_Glasses&sproductID=344
                      >
                      > Seems to me it's clearly a term that used in bartending circles....as
                      > is the term "highball"...are they interchangeable?
                      >
                      > On 7.6.2007, at 13:37, James Kirchner wrote:
                      >
                      > > Interesting. Dictionary.com has two dictionary entries for "tall
                      > > drink" but none for "long drink". Hmmmm.
                      > >
                      > > JK
                      > >
                      > > On Jun 7, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Simon Vollam wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmankova
                      > <jenhejt@...>

                      > > > Seconded, although I would say that "tall glass" is more usual
                      > > > than "long glass".
                      > > >
                      > > > I prefer shorts myself. Whose round is it?
                      > > >
                      > > > Simon

                    • Simon Vollam
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                        > The mystery, though, is why I can find "tall drink" in real,
                        > established dictionaries (American Heritage, Random House,
                        > Infoplease, etc.), but not "long drink".

                        It's in the Oxford Concise, Collins, Cambridge and Chambers
                        dictionaries. Maybe it's another AmE/BrE thing.

                        Simon
                      • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                          The English language will never cease to befuddle us as it twists and
                          turns and changes over time...

                          It definitely seems to be more of an "international English" term
                          rather than a purely American or British term, the more I look.
                          I, too, no longer speak or write pure American English (and honestly
                          I can't, as I'm not surrounded by it all day anymore, nor will I be
                          ever again)....

                          linguistically,
                          jennifer

                          p.s. i don't think a "highball" is the name of a specific drink
                          either...i've foudn lots of different kinds of highballs on those
                          bartending sites.... :)

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                            I didn't find either term in the Oxford Concise (my edition may be
                            old), although I did find it in another UK dictionary not as an
                            entry, but within definitions.

                            JK

                            On Jun 7, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Simon Vollam wrote:

                            > > The mystery, though, is why I can find "tall drink" in real,
                            > > established dictionaries (American Heritage, Random House,
                            > > Infoplease, etc.), but not "long drink".
                            >
                            > It's in the Oxford Concise, Collins, Cambridge and Chambers
                            > dictionaries. Maybe it's another AmE/BrE thing.
                            >
                            > Simon

                          • Simon Vollam
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007

                              > I didn't find either term in the Oxford Concise (my edition may be
                              > old), although I did find it in another UK dictionary not as an
                              > entry, but within definitions.

                              Mine is old as well - 9th edition. It doesn't merit a separate entry,
                              admittedly, but it's there in definition 12 under "long".

                              S.
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                                On Jun 7, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Jennifer Hejtmankova wrote:

                                > p.s. i don't think a "highball" is the name of a specific drink
                                > either...i've foudn lots of different kinds of highballs on those
                                > bartending sites.... :)

                                There are variations on it. However, it's not a generic term for a
                                tall/long drink, and "highball" is not interchangeable with those terms.

                                JK

                              • Valerie Talacko
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 7, 2007
                                  >Maybe it's another AmE/BrE thing

                                  Very likely. I'd say 'long drink.'

                                  > The mystery, though, is why I can find "tall drink" in real,
                                  > established dictionaries (American Heritage, Random House,
                                  > Infoplease, etc.), but not "long drink".

                                  It's in the Oxford Concise, Collins, Cambridge and Chambers
                                  dictionaries. Maybe it's another AmE/BrE thing.

                                  Simon

                                • coilinoc
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 8, 2007
                                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Talacko" <valerie@...> wrote:

                                    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments.
                                    Coilin