Re: CHAT [Czechlist] word associations

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
      >Then I think you should warn Coca Cola too - because Coke is too
      >similar to _cock_.

      Bite the wax tadpole, dude.
      Michael

      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
        In a message dated 11/1/00 9:38:14 AM, mgrant@... writes:

        >>Then I think you should warn Coca Cola too - because Coke is too
        >>similar to _cock_.
        >
        >Bite the wax tadpole, dude.

        Except that people don't say "cock-a-cola". And even if they did, there
        wouldn't be a flock of intellectuals looking through dictionaries, saying, "I
        see no similarity between 'coca' and 'cock', and the Oxford, Random House,
        Webster's Collegiate and Webster's New World do not list soft drink as one of
        the definitions of "cock", even while people on the street were hearing
        "cock" in it.

        Anyway, it's up to your clients, of course, if they want to risk using a name
        that one guy heard the word penis in (where there's one, there are more).
        After all, Chevy was pretty safe in keeping the name "Nova" in Latin America
        for one of its car models, since Spanish has the same word with the same
        meaning, but the Chevy "No va" became one of the all-time classic product
        naming snafus.

        JK
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
          >Anyway, it's up to your clients, of course, if they want to risk using a name
          >that one guy heard the word penis in (where there's one, there are more).

          FWIW, I haven't made a recommendation one way or another, just passed
          on the comments. A couple of people have said that, regardless of the
          somewhat tenuous associations we've been discussing, it's a pretty
          ugly name in Czech anyway.