Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: cross state lines

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 6 6:28 PM
      Someone using the account of James Kirchner wrote on 06/06/2007 03:31 PM:
      > I think that's a good solution. It means what the original meant.
      >
      > On Jun 6, 2007, at 3:09 PM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:
      >
      >> "Tento zákon obsahuje ustanovení proti násilným trestným cinum
      >> páchaným zlocinci, kterí za tím úcelem prekracují hranice
      >> jednotlivých státu USA..."

      That seems reasonable, especially if your text happens to be about 18
      U.S.C. § 2261. This kind of law is a reminder that the states existed
      first as full equivalents of France, Austria, etc., and the United
      States came later as a limited delegation of sovereignty by the states
      to the newly created central authority. (In particular, the individual
      countries surrendered the right to enter into treaties with any country
      not part of the United States: that's why the impression from the
      outside for 200+ years has been that there's only one country: it's
      because only the central government can make treaties.)