Re: [Czechlist] your opinions please -- is location important?

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
      Africa, Antarctica??? Come on, Jamie, spill the beans...

      Gerry, agog

      On 03/06/07, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

      > I can't give you specific advice for the Czech Republic, but I can
      > tell you that most of my translation work does not even come from the
      > same continent I live on.
      >
      > Jamie
      >
      > On Jun 3, 2007, at 7:37 AM, Liz Spacilova wrote:
      >
      > > Dear Czechlisters,
      > >
      > > I will be moving later this year and am considering various options as
      > > to where to go. I plan on remaining in the Czech Republic, but have
      > > romantic visions of moving out to the mountains a little further away
      > > from bustling Prague and its ever expanding suburbs. The question is:
      > > As a freelance translator, would this move hurt me professionally? I
      > > do not interpret or teach English, and as it is now, nearly all of my
      > > interactions take place via the Internet -- so as long as I can get a
      > > good connection out there in the boondocks I should be fine ... right?
      > > Do any of you live out in a rural area and think it would be better
      > > for your translation business if you lived closer to a city?
      > >
      > > Thanks for sharing your opinions,
      > >
      > > Liz

      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5
      150 00 Prague 5
      Czech Republic
      Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

      Experience*Style*Precision

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
        I'm in Detroit, and most of my translation work these days comes from
        Paris. I don't know why, but it's okay with me.

        JK

        On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:

        > Africa, Antarctica??? Come on, Jamie, spill the beans...
        >
        > Gerry, agog
        >
        > On 03/06/07, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I can't give you specific advice for the Czech Republic, but I can
        > > tell you that most of my translation work does not even come from
        > the
        > > same continent I live on.
        > >
        > > Jamie

      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
          Sounds good to me. Wish I could say the same.

          Gerry

          On 04/06/07, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

          > I'm in Detroit, and most of my translation work these days comes from
          > Paris. I don't know why, but it's okay with me.
          >
          > JK
          >
          > On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:
          >
          > > Africa, Antarctica??? Come on, Jamie, spill the beans...
          > >
          > > Gerry, agog
          > >
          > > On 03/06/07, James Kirchner <jpklists@...<jpklists%40sbcglobal.net>>
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I can't give you specific advice for the Czech Republic, but I can
          > > > tell you that most of my translation work does not even come from
          > > the
          > > > same continent I live on.
          > > >
          > > > Jamie

          Czech-In Translations
          V lesíčku 5
          150 00 Prague 5
          Czech Republic
          Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

          Experience*Style*Precision

        • Liz Spacilova
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
            Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I wish I could take some
            of Radek's advice to heart, but I'm afraid it's too late (on the other
            hand, though, I'm glad I'm in the system, otherwise I would not have
            received maternity benefits for the past five years). Clearly, the
            quality of the internet connection will be the thing to watch out for.
            And perhaps any wild boar running about ...

            Cheers

            Liz
          • ing.Šárka Rubková
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007
              Hi Liz,

              I usually live half a year in Prague and half a year in out cottage in
              mountains and I have never ever encountered any difference in number of jobs
              even though I used to have problems with e-mails and internet few years ago.

              So, feel free to do what you want to do and I do not think you will see any
              difference at all.

              sarka