Re: [Czechlist] TERM: abbr: CW

  • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      > My Germlish document I have been translating says: Machine must rotate in
      CW
      > direction.
      > I am wondering what the German translator means: counter-clockwise or
      > clockwise? I would assume he means "clockwise", but it is so important to
      > know it absolutely right that I would like to get it confirmed by someone
      of
      > you who is familiar with this abbreviation.

      Hi Kostas,

      Yes, definitely clockwise, at least in native English. It even appears in
      Webster's dictionary: cw = clockwise; ccw = counterclockwise.

      Rachel
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        >I am wondering what the German translator means: counter-clockwise or
        >clockwise? I would assume he means "clockwise", but it is so important to
        >know it absolutely right that I would like to get it confirmed by someone of
        >you who is familiar with this abbreviation.

        CW definitely means clockwise; counter-clockwise would be CCW. Of
        course it's possible that the author made a mistake, but that
        wouldn't be your problem.

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      • Miroslav Herold
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
          Hi Kostas,
          in EN documents
          clockwise = CW
          counter-clockwise =CCW.
          However, in Germlish you can meet anything.
          BR
          Mirek
          Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

          tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
          tel.: xx420 2 536549
          mobil: 0606 865870