Re: [Czechlist] your opinions please -- is location important?

  • Jennifer Hejtmankova
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hi Liz,

      Hasn't affected my ability to get work at all...I don't live far from
      Prague, but far enough that I only go into the city once a week, if
      that. ALL my work is handled via internet...but I also work with two
      agencies. If I was totally freelance, and didn't have the agencies
      to give me work, that would be a different story...

      Good luck!
      Jen

      On 3.6.2007, at 13:37, Liz Spacilova wrote:

      > Dear Czechlisters,
      >
      > I will be moving later this year and am considering various options as
      > to where to go. I plan on remaining in the Czech Republic, but have
      > romantic visions of moving out to the mountains a little further away
      > from bustling Prague and its ever expanding suburbs. The question is:
      > As a freelance translator, would this move hurt me professionally? I
      > do not interpret or teach English, and as it is now, nearly all of my
      > interactions take place via the Internet -- so as long as I can get a
      > good connection out there in the boondocks I should be fine ... right?
      > Do any of you live out in a rural area and think it would be better
      > for your translation business if you lived closer to a city?
      >
      > Thanks for sharing your opinions,
      >
      > Liz

    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2007
        I spent ten years working as a freelance translator in the Irish
        countryside. I was just as poor as I am now in exhaust-polluted Prague. I'm
        not sure what conclusion to draw. I hate to admit it but I am addicted to
        this city and have been since the 1970s. However there was an advertisement
        in the church magazine for a cheap flat in Jindrichuv Hradec and I that
        might just tempt me.

        Gerry

        On 03/06/07, Jennifer Hejtmankova <jenhejt@...> wrote:

        > Hi Liz,
        >
        > Hasn't affected my ability to get work at all...I don't live far from
        > Prague, but far enough that I only go into the city once a week, if
        > that. ALL my work is handled via internet...but I also work with two
        > agencies. If I was totally freelance, and didn't have the agencies
        > to give me work, that would be a different story...
        >
        > Good luck!
        > Jen
        >
        > On 3.6.2007, at 13:37, Liz Spacilova wrote:
        >
        > > Dear Czechlisters,
        > >
        > > I will be moving later this year and am considering various options as
        > > to where to go. I plan on remaining in the Czech Republic, but have
        > > romantic visions of moving out to the mountains a little further away
        > > from bustling Prague and its ever expanding suburbs. The question is:
        > > As a freelance translator, would this move hurt me professionally? I
        > > do not interpret or teach English, and as it is now, nearly all of my
        > > interactions take place via the Internet -- so as long as I can get a
        > > good connection out there in the boondocks I should be fine ... right?
        > > Do any of you live out in a rural area and think it would be better
        > > for your translation business if you lived closer to a city?
        > >
        > > Thanks for sharing your opinions,
        > >
        > > Liz

        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5
        150 00 Prague 5
        Czech Republic
        Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

        Experience*Style*Precision

      • Iveta Pecinkova - prekladatelsky servis
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2007
          Hi Liz,
          I don't understand why being totally freelance would be a different story. I myself live "na samote u lesa" (and to be honest the Internet connection is not the best one) although not far from Brno but I almost never meet my clients personally. When I moved to the region I contacted several local companies some of which became my clients, mostly for interpreting services. I used to live in a different region before and I still have the clients from that region.
          Even companies located only 20 km from my home usually send me manuals or other documents by regular post if they don't have them in the electronic format. So you can easily move further away from Prague. I can't see any negative aspect (unless you love Prague and cannot live without the city, which doesn't seem to be your case). The other day I heard a lot of noise outside my bathroom window - no tram, no car, no rowdies, just a wild boar. So if you like the place, don't worry and go for it.
          Iveta

          Hasn't affected my ability to get work at all...I don't live far from
          Prague, but far enough that I only go into the city once a week, if
          that. ALL my work is handled via internet...but I also work with two
          agencies. If I was totally freelance, and didn't have the agencies
          to give me work, that would be a different story...

          Good luck!
          Jen

          On 3.6.2007, at 13:37, Liz Spacilova wrote:

          > Dear Czechlisters,
          >
          > I will be moving later this year and am considering various options as
          > to where to go. I plan on remaining in the Czech Republic, but have
          > romantic visions of moving out to the mountains a little further away
          > from bustling Prague and its ever expanding suburbs. The question is:
          > As a freelance translator, would this move hurt me professionally? I
          > do not interpret or teach English, and as it is now, nearly all of my
          > interactions take place via the Internet -- so as long as I can get a
          > good connection out there in the boondocks I should be fine ... right?
          > Do any of you live out in a rural area and think it would be better
          > for your translation business if you lived closer to a city?
          >
          > Thanks for sharing your opinions,
          >
          > Liz

        • radekpletka
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2007
            My experience:

            a) You MUST have reliable high speed internet. There is now several
            different options in CR, cable, DSL, wireless, even satelite. Pricing
            start somewhere around $20 per month, but they usually limit your
            data, which sucks. Shop around and try to get somethign without
            limits or piggyback with somebody without limits.

            b) Get US phone number (I was using SKYPE IN number), it cost 30 Euro
            per year, you can pick your own area code, so I picked 202 (smile) -
            this is Washington DC area code. It works like charm, when you are
            log on ot Skype, you hear the phone ringing, pick the call and nobody
            notices anything, they are just calling US number. If you are not on,
            Skype answering machine works well, you can personalize your
            greetings and messages can be up to 10 minutes each. When you log on
            again, you will get a message from Skype that you have voice mail. I
            never had any problems with it, works well.
            c) Get US fax number - you can get free US fax number form e-fax, the
            only limit is 20 pages per month, if you get more pages, soon or
            later it will force you to get paid service, about $12 per month. For
            free fax you can't pick area code, but with fax nobody cares, and
            only few customers are using faxes anyhow.

            c) Get free phone calls to US and another 35 countries. You can use
            Skype, but they charge for calls to the phone lines. I am using
            VOIPDISCOUNT, it is technically not exactly free, as it cost 10 Euro
            for 120 days activation of free phone calls, but it is worth the
            money, quality is nearly as good as Skype and you can call any number
            in US, including cell phones, for free, without limits.
            You can also call landlines in another 35 counties, includign Czech
            republic, for free. There is limit of 300 free minutes to landlanes
            in Czech Republic, but I run over that limit only seldom, and even
            that it was just one eurocent per minute.
            Calls to the celphones in Czech republic cost 16 eurocents per minute
            (Skype is cheaper with 15 euroecents per minute).
            When you are registering, remember to register with non EU address,
            otherwise they will charge nearly 20% VAT to 10 Euro activation.

            d) Bring good and reliable notebook from US, the same equivalent in
            Czech Republic is usually about 1/3 or more expensive. Consider also
            bringing big external display, good 22 inch 1680x1050 LCD is around
            $200 in US, in Czech Republic you will pay close to $500 for it. On
            the other hand, Minolta Color LAser 2430 was available at about $300,
            which was basically indentical as US price.

            e) Make sure you know how to fill inkjet cartridges, if you are using
            inkjets, prices of cartridges there are ridiculous.
            If you get laser, Minolta 2430 cartridges are easy to fill with
            powder toner, if you are at leas a bit technically inclined.

            f) Bring your own wireless router. In US you can get them from $20,
            in CR they are much more expensive.
            g) Bring also scanner, it is very useful.
            h) Bring your own cell phone, if you have the newer one, which
            accepts SIM cards. Do not worry if it is locked from your provider,
            Czech can unlock anything. Sprint phones do not work in CR. Prices of
            mobiles are absolutely ridiculous. Get local Czech SIM card, but be
            prepared to pay, prices for mobiles are ridiculous.
            i) Make sure you have US bank account with internet banking. Avoid
            Czech banks like a plague, they charge for everything, you will pay
            even to close your account. Get paypal and if you will need cash, get
            a check cashing card, which does not charge for use abroad. Bring
            enough money for beginning to hold you over, cashing US checks is a
            pain in CR.
            j) Keep US address and US residency, as US citizen, living abroad for
            more than 330 per year you do not have to pay income tax on first
            $80,000 of your income, which is nice incentive from Uncle Sam.
            Arrange for your mailing address, have somebody to pick up your mail
            and stamp and deposit your checks and email you important info about
            your mail
            k) Stay under the radar in CR, avoid aplying for any zivnostensky
            list or anything, you do not need it, as long as you keep US as your
            permanent residency place and fill your taxes every year. It is much
            cheaper than pay taxes in CR and you do not have to deal with
            zivnostensky list and other crap.
            l) Health insurance cost about $50 per month, but if you aplly for
            unemployment, they will pay your health insurance. They will not give
            you unemployment benefits, if you didn't work in CR during last 3
            years.
            m) Cars are more expensive in CR. If you are bringing car from US,
            get a car, which has dual fuel option (propane), gas cost is about
            $1.50 per litr in CR, but propane is about 1/2 of it, so it pays off
            in long run. Honda is selling in US a version of its CIVIC car, which
            runs on propane, and it is surely cheaper than in CR.
            n) Shipping is not a big deal, number of companes do it, it cost
            about $1000 and takes about 2 months, google it.

            Good luck

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2007
              I can't give you specific advice for the Czech Republic, but I can
              tell you that most of my translation work does not even come from the
              same continent I live on.

              Jamie

              On Jun 3, 2007, at 7:37 AM, Liz Spacilova wrote:

              > Dear Czechlisters,
              >
              > I will be moving later this year and am considering various options as
              > to where to go. I plan on remaining in the Czech Republic, but have
              > romantic visions of moving out to the mountains a little further away
              > from bustling Prague and its ever expanding suburbs. The question is:
              > As a freelance translator, would this move hurt me professionally? I
              > do not interpret or teach English, and as it is now, nearly all of my
              > interactions take place via the Internet -- so as long as I can get a
              > good connection out there in the boondocks I should be fine ... right?
              > Do any of you live out in a rural area and think it would be better
              > for your translation business if you lived closer to a city?
              >
              > Thanks for sharing your opinions,
              >
              > Liz

            • Gerald Turner
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                Africa, Antarctica??? Come on, Jamie, spill the beans...

                Gerry, agog

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                  I'm in Detroit, and most of my translation work these days comes from
                  Paris. I don't know why, but it's okay with me.

                  JK

                  On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                  > Africa, Antarctica??? Come on, Jamie, spill the beans...
                  >
                  > Gerry, agog
                  >
                  > On 03/06/07, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I can't give you specific advice for the Czech Republic, but I can
                  > > tell you that most of my translation work does not even come from
                  > the
                  > > same continent I live on.
                  > >
                  > > Jamie

                • Gerald Turner
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Sounds good to me. Wish I could say the same.

                    Gerry

                    On 04/06/07, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

                    > I'm in Detroit, and most of my translation work these days comes from
                    > Paris. I don't know why, but it's okay with me.
                    >
                    > JK
                    >
                    > On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:
                    >
                    > > Africa, Antarctica??? Come on, Jamie, spill the beans...
                    > >
                    > > Gerry, agog
                    > >
                    > > On 03/06/07, James Kirchner <jpklists@...<jpklists%40sbcglobal.net>>
                    > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I can't give you specific advice for the Czech Republic, but I can
                    > > > tell you that most of my translation work does not even come from
                    > > the
                    > > > same continent I live on.
                    > > >
                    > > > Jamie

                    Czech-In Translations
                    V lesíčku 5
                    150 00 Prague 5
                    Czech Republic
                    Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

                    Experience*Style*Precision

                  • Liz Spacilova
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I wish I could take some
                      of Radek's advice to heart, but I'm afraid it's too late (on the other
                      hand, though, I'm glad I'm in the system, otherwise I would not have
                      received maternity benefits for the past five years). Clearly, the
                      quality of the internet connection will be the thing to watch out for.
                      And perhaps any wild boar running about ...

                      Cheers

                      Liz
                    • ing.Šárka Rubková
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 20, 2007
                        Hi Liz,

                        I usually live half a year in Prague and half a year in out cottage in
                        mountains and I have never ever encountered any difference in number of jobs
                        even though I used to have problems with e-mails and internet few years ago.

                        So, feel free to do what you want to do and I do not think you will see any
                        difference at all.

                        sarka