Re: CHAT [Czechlist] word associations

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
      OK, Jamie, Then I think you should warn Coca Cola too - because Coke is too
      similar to _cock_. And now when I pointed it out, everybody can see it. ;-)
      See my point, Jamie? As Jirka B. said, there is no word with no bad
      connotation or similarity. It´s just a matter of your will, time and
      imagination.

      But anyway this acc... what´s-its-name is ugly. I don´t mind if they make up
      anything better.

      Martin

      You wrote:

      But notice that when one person pointed it out, everybody saw it. Bad news
      for a trade name.

      JK
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
        >Then I think you should warn Coca Cola too - because Coke is too
        >similar to _cock_.

        Bite the wax tadpole, dude.
        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
          In a message dated 11/1/00 9:38:14 AM, mgrant@... writes:

          >>Then I think you should warn Coca Cola too - because Coke is too
          >>similar to _cock_.
          >
          >Bite the wax tadpole, dude.

          Except that people don't say "cock-a-cola". And even if they did, there
          wouldn't be a flock of intellectuals looking through dictionaries, saying, "I
          see no similarity between 'coca' and 'cock', and the Oxford, Random House,
          Webster's Collegiate and Webster's New World do not list soft drink as one of
          the definitions of "cock", even while people on the street were hearing
          "cock" in it.

          Anyway, it's up to your clients, of course, if they want to risk using a name
          that one guy heard the word penis in (where there's one, there are more).
          After all, Chevy was pretty safe in keeping the name "Nova" in Latin America
          for one of its car models, since Spanish has the same word with the same
          meaning, but the Chevy "No va" became one of the all-time classic product
          naming snafus.

          JK
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
            >Anyway, it's up to your clients, of course, if they want to risk using a name
            >that one guy heard the word penis in (where there's one, there are more).

            FWIW, I haven't made a recommendation one way or another, just passed
            on the comments. A couple of people have said that, regardless of the
            somewhat tenuous associations we've been discussing, it's a pretty
            ugly name in Czech anyway.