Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: alibisticky prevest odpovednost na jine

  • Bedrich Hadziu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
      TERM INQUIRED: "ALIBISTICKY PREVEST ODPOVEDNOST" / Magda Ferstlova

      I much agree with James here.

      The Czech definition of "alibismus" is "an effort to escape respobsibility/liability" or "an effort to escape responsibility/liability by passing the blame on to others".

      I am not sure that "passing the buck" must be negative at all times. The Czech "alibismus" is only negative.

      Either way, I would certainly not use "passing the buck" in a formal text (it is informal or journalistic).

      In addition, I am surprised that the English language does not have the same construct even though it has the same defintion for "alibi":

      2. a plausible excuse especially for failure or negligence : any excuse "this sounds a little like the alibi which some editors make in defending T oversensational stories" F.L.Mott"
      (Webster)

      But it is the beauty and challenge of languages, too.

      Have a lovely weekend,

      Bedrich

      James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
      Wouldn't "behaving evasively" be some kind of vyhybani? You can be
      evasive without passing any blame. Being evasive just means you try
      not to answer questions that you don't like.

      The semi-informal way of translating the expression in question would
      be "passing the buck", as mentioned, although it's not to informal
      for journalism. A more formal way to say it would be "passing blame"
      or "passing blame to others". You can also say "deflecting blame to
      others (or to other people)".

      Jamie