TERM: alibisticky prevest odpovednost na jine

  • magda.ferstlova
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2007
      Hello,
      I struggle with the expression "alibisticky" in the context above. Anyone
      out there to help?
      Magda

      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2007
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "magda.ferstlova" <ferstl@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I struggle with the expression "alibisticky" in the context above.

        Celou myslenku bych spis parafrazoval s vyrazem "pass the buck", aspon
        v neformalnich kontextech. Verim, ze se alibismus casto preklada jako
        buck-passing (Fronek).

      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2007
          And how about "behaving evasively" or something like that?
          Regards,
          Jarda

          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2007
            Wouldn't "behaving evasively" be some kind of vyhybani? You can be
            evasive without passing any blame. Being evasive just means you try
            not to answer questions that you don't like.

            The semi-informal way of translating the expression in question would
            be "passing the buck", as mentioned, although it's not to informal
            for journalism. A more formal way to say it would be "passing blame"
            or "passing blame to others". You can also say "deflecting blame to
            others (or to other people)".

            Jamie

            On May 24, 2007, at 6:45 AM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

            > And how about "behaving evasively" or something like that?
            > Regards,
            > Jarda

          • magda.ferstlova
            Message 5 of 6 , May 24, 2007
              It is some kind of a memo, so I will go for "passing the buck"
              Thanks to everyone

              _____

              Wouldn't "behaving evasively" be some kind of vyhybani? You can be
              evasive without passing any blame. Being evasive just means you try
              not to answer questions that you don't like.

              The semi-informal way of translating the expression in question would
              be "passing the buck", as mentioned, although it's not to informal
              for journalism. A more formal way to say it would be "passing blame"
              or "passing blame to others". You can also say "deflecting blame to
              others (or to other people)".

              Jamie

              On May 24, 2007, at 6:45 AM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

              > And how about "behaving evasively" or something like that?
              > Regards,
              > Jarda

            • Bedrich Hadziu
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2007
                TERM INQUIRED: "ALIBISTICKY PREVEST ODPOVEDNOST" / Magda Ferstlova

                I much agree with James here.

                The Czech definition of "alibismus" is "an effort to escape respobsibility/liability" or "an effort to escape responsibility/liability by passing the blame on to others".

                I am not sure that "passing the buck" must be negative at all times. The Czech "alibismus" is only negative.

                Either way, I would certainly not use "passing the buck" in a formal text (it is informal or journalistic).

                In addition, I am surprised that the English language does not have the same construct even though it has the same defintion for "alibi":

                2. a plausible excuse especially for failure or negligence : any excuse "this sounds a little like the alibi which some editors make in defending T oversensational stories" F.L.Mott"
                (Webster)

                But it is the beauty and challenge of languages, too.

                Have a lovely weekend,

                Bedrich