Re: [Czechlist] Re: Confusion on the definition of "Irish"

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2007
      On Apr 30, 2007, at 5:24 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

      > To go off on a tangent, I am reminded of my days at British Rail, when
      > I'd often hear the expression "it's all very English", which I always
      > took to mean something like "everyone is cheerfully amateurish (read:
      > blissfully unaware of their own incompetence), but the job gets done
      > in the end, come thick or thin". =:-O

      That would be lost on Americans. If someone said to a Yank that
      "it's all very English", he would understand it as meaning that it
      was all very orderly, logically thought through, perfectly
      functioning and somewhat elegant. Sort of an equivalent to something
      being very German, but much more pleasant and friendly.