Re: TERMS: "sedaci nabytek"

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2000
      --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, Michael Grant <mgrant@b...> wrote:

      >If it's just furniture for sitting on in general (including
      > things like barstools and dining room chairs), I really can't think
      > of any comprehensive expression.
      >
      > Michael

      Hello,

      Just as a curiosity, I got quite a few hits on the search engines for
      "seating furniture", which seems to be a piece of jargon sometimes
      used by pros in the furniture, antiques, upholstery, cabinetmaking and
      other trades in Britain, America, Australia and elsewhere in the
      English-speaking world. Quite a few hits from European sites too.

      www.wwnorton.com/blurbs/npb/002516.htm

      www.antiquesandfinearts.com/chairs.htm

      One Australian company includes chairs, chaises longues, seats,
      settees, settles and stools in this category.

      But alas no loveseats. :(

      www.mri.mq.edu.au/~peba/PowerTNG/ThesNav/1/46/19/

      Anyway, it is not the kind of phrase that comes tripping off the
      tongue of the average IKEA salesman or customer IMHO, so handle with
      some caution.

      Melvyn
      (You'd think I'd have better things to do, wouldn't you?:))