Re: [Czechlist] HELP: RUSKY SPELLCHECK PRO MS OFFICE

  • Bedrich Hadziu
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2007
      Thanks a lot, Jamie!

      Bedrich

      James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
      You can get a Russian language pack from Micro$oft's website. It
      costs $25.00 for the pack, and $5.00 for the license. And, of
      course, they only have the packs to go with Office 2007, so there's
      no telling how it will work if you haven't upgraded.

      I think you might be better off downloading and installing OpenOffice
      (free) and then installing its Russian spellchecker (free).

      You can get OpenOffice here:
      http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

      You can get the spellcheckers here:
      http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries#Russian_.
      28Russia.29

      There's another reason why I think every translator should have
      OpenOffice installed, which is that it appears to clean up corrupted
      MS Office files. Numerous times I have been sent corrupted
      PowerPoint files that do not display correctly, or that will display
      only in slide show mode and not in editing mode, and also Word files
      that appear to have macro viruses or some other problem. Opening
      these files in OpenOffice and saving them as PowerPoint or Word files
      from that program appears to clean them up, so that they display and
      function correctly once opened in MS Office again. The programmers
      who work on OpenOffice have an explanation for this phenomenon, but
      suffice it to say that the ability of OpenOffice to repair messed-up
      MS Office files has saved my heinie more than once.

      Jamie