Re: [Czechlist] help ENG-CES "tranches"

  • Bedrich Hadziu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      Jamie wrote: "Tranche is a French word that literally means "slice". So what
      they're talking about is sections or blocks of the budget."

      BELATED RESPONSE:

      Jamie is partly right but I am afraid that a more specific meaning applies here, the one that Jan Kordac suggested. Here is a definition from Merriam Webster:

      Main Entry:tranche
      Pronunciation:*tr**sh
      Function:noun
      Inflected Form:-s
      Etymology:French, from Old French, from trenchier, trancher to cut * more at TRENCH

      : SLICE, SECTION, PORTION; specifically: a portion or series of a bond issue to be distributed in a foreign country

      Bedrich

      James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
      Tranche is a French word that literally means "slice". So what
      they're talking about is sections or blocks of the budget.

      A few days ago on the radio here, a general was being asked if the
      army was going to have trouble because of the congress playing games
      with the military budget for Iraq. The general said, "We don't need
      all the money now, but the first tranche of it is needed
      immediately." In other words, the first slice or block of the money.

      Jamie

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        On Apr 1, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Bedrich Hadziu wrote:

        > : SLICE, SECTION, PORTION; specifically: a portion or series of a
        > bond issue to be distributed in a foreign country

        No doubt. However, I don't think you could get away with saying
        "tranche" without some mention of a bond issue somewhere nearby. The
        word is used very seldom in English, and in the few times I've heard
        it, it's never been in reference to a bond issue, just to a block of
        money.