Re: [Czechlist] Re: "Free rooms" + hotel terminology

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2007
      On Mar 24, 2007, at 7:12 AM, dparrot@... wrote:

      > Nevertheless, what would be idiomatic English for a receptionist
      > informing
      > the guests that there are rooms in the hotel they can rent? (we have
      > rooms for rent, rooms available, vacancy, or something like that?).
      > Thanks a lot on behalf of my pretty granddaughter.

      Right. We have vacancies, rooms available, rooms for rent (if longer
      term), and an older term (somewhat out of use, I think) is room to let.

      Your granddaughter isn't the only one. I once had breakfast with a
      British woman who'd been working in Geneva for the UN, and her
      English was ALL screwed up with Euro-English. The best was when she
      asked, "Is there still enough place for me on the bus?"