RE: [Czechlist] Re: Neco k pobaveni - Zajimave informace o CR -

  • Helga Listen
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 3, 2007
      The Cities I had in mind are LA, San Diego (own experience from a 2-year
      stay there, true back in the late 80ths), Miami (according to what a
      translator colleague tells me about her troubles to find a decent school for
      her kids), Campton, New Hampshire (a friend of mine, mother of 5 children,
      is librarian there and has some very interesting stories about the school
      system).

      Yes, now that you say it, Africa is not the continent we (in Austria and
      Germany) got to hear much about at school (but this may have changed over
      the years). Basically it is only �dry, dry, dry and poor, poor, poor.

      Home study? How many average families can afford that?

      With public school system I simply meant those schools that are not private,
      where you do not have to pay to send your child to.

      Still I believe that in general the general education of European kids (and
      therefore also adults) is somewhat �more extensive� than of kids having gone
      through the public American system.

      Helga

      _____

      From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of James Kirchner

      On Mar 3, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Helga Listen wrote:

      > Well, being neiter Czech nor American, but having spent quite some
      > time in
      > both countries I would say that the average Czech has a little more
      > of this
      > "Allgemeinbildung" than the average American does. Probably this is so
      > because (at least to my knowledge) the US educational system simply
      > focuses
      > very much on knowledge about the own country,

      It depends on which public school district you live in. In the
      Detroit public schools, if you ask a high school kid when the
      American Revolution occurred, he's liable to say 1967, because they
      get it confused with a race riot that burned down part of the city in
      that year. Many of them graduate from high school with a 3rd- to 8th-
      grade reading level. Meanwhile, just across the city limits, where I
      live, the kids can find most countries on the map before they're 10
      years old, can write almost like adults at 13, and do university
      level work in high school. Before 5th grade, I knew all about
      Argentina, the Netherlands and India, from the geographic and
      cultural standpoint, and I was in public school.

      > whilst european countries are
      > not as big and so the can also focus on the rest of the world.

      They don't actually focus that much on the rest of the world, and the
      farther they get from their own continent, the worse they get, so
      that many of them think that Los Angeles is where New York is, that
      Miami is in Brazil, etc. And when you get all the way down to
      Africa, their ignorance shows quite a bit. I met a young banker who
      was even very dim on the difference between North and South America
      (it didn't help that the Czech schools taught him that they are one
      continent, just as they taught that the US has 51 states). Their
      understanding of US geography and culture can be quite bizarre, and
      some of them think that Canada is all lumberjacks and eskimos.

      > And, as far as I know, (educated) Amercians are quite aware of the
      > fact that
      > their public school system is not one of the most efficient.

      Which public school system? Where? What town? There is no state
      school system here. But you're right that we know there are problems.

      > Why would there be so many privat ones, if the public ones were good?

      Where I live, we have public schools that are among the best in the
      world, but we also have private schools. It's not all about the
      quality of the education, but the type. Some people want their kids
      to have a non-secularist education that they can't get in the public
      schools, so they send them to Catholic, Jewish or some other school.
      Some kids don't do well in a large school, and they are better put in
      a private school, because it will be smaller. At this point, though,
      the kids who leave all the others in the dust tend to be the ones who
      don't go to school at all, but are educated at home. On average,
      they have much higher achievement than kids who go to school do, and
      universities compete to recruit them.

      --
      Ausgehende eMail ist virenfrei.
      �berpr�ft durch AVG.

      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 8, 2007
        Trolling this list again, Radek?? Be off with you.

        Melvyn