Re: [Czechlist] Re: Neco k pobaveni - Zajimave informace o CR -

    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 3, 2007
      On Mar 3, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Liz Spacilova wrote:

      > So next time you get some crap you can reply that Nikdo neni
      > dokonaly perfectly demonstrates the intellectual level of the Czech
      > populace.

      I've never seen the show. I wish they streamed it over the
      Internet. At the time I lived there, TV Nova was just new and hadn't
      yet proven the true intellectual level of the average Czech.

      I wouldn't recognize anything from The Daily Show, because we've got
      about 100 channels, and I've never happened upon it. I'm more of a
      Colbert Report fan.

      > > Personally, I don't think there's anything so wrong
      > with "nadvlada
      > > Americanu", but I won't get into that.
      >
      > Me neither. I'm just glad I don't sound like a Russian anymore when
      > I speak Czech, because that really sucked. (Lesson: Do not learn
      > Czech from a Russian.)

      I learned German from a Dutch lady who couldn't hear her own bad
      accent. She insisted we imitate her, but if we did, she said we had
      horrible pronunciation, and we'd have to stay for detention with
      headphones on, trying to imitate the Germans on the recordings. My
      key out of prison was to realize the people on the recordings talked
      nothing like her, and imitating them was what sprung me.

      At the school where I was in the CR, there was a Russian lady who
      spoke the best, clearest English of any non-native speaker in town,
      but she evidently didn't feel close to the Czechs, and her Czech
      pronunciation was horrible. Some people in town assumed that because
      her Czech sounded bad, her English must also be bad, which was far
      from the truth.

      I think worse than learning Czech from a Russian is learning Polish
      before you learn Czech. A guy who worked for us did that, and he
      came out with doozies like, "Vim, ze muj kamarad je v Cechach, ale
      nemuzu ho szukac."

      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 8, 2007
        Trolling this list again, Radek?? Be off with you.

        Melvyn