RE: [Czechlist] Re: Neco k pobaveni - Zajimave informace o CR -

  • Helga Listen
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 3, 2007
      Well, being neiter Czech nor American, but having spent quite some time in
      both countries I would say that the average Czech has a little more of this
      "Allgemeinbildung" than the average American does. Probably this is so
      because (at least to my knowledge) the US educational system simply focuses
      very much on knowledge about the own country, whilst european countries are
      not as big and so the can also focus on the rest of the world. And, let�s
      face it, the (average) american attitude is still "we are the leaders of
      this world". So why should they bother to know about those others.

      And, as far as I know, (educated) Amercians are quite aware of the fact that
      their public school system is not one of the most efficient. Why would there
      be so many privat ones, if the public ones were good?

      From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Liz Spacilova

      Wasn't there a laugh track in the background of that clip? (Nope, on
      second look I see there wasn't, I guess that was just me laughing).
      Anyway, given the location of the site I suppose the average viewer
      would not know that the clip probably came from "The Daily Show" or
      something similar on the Comedy Channel, but then again I think it
      was clear it was a spoof. Czechs should be able to recognise in the
      clip their own show "Nikdo neni dokonaly", where interviewers go out
      and ask the average guy/gal on the street where dodo birds live and
      several reply, "Africa."

      > Thus, in the sborovna, I would
      > witness Czech high school teachers congratulating themselves on
      > superior their kids were to the Americans, yet I could -- and did -
      > go right into the classroom and get equally bizarre, ignorant
      > German cities.

      So next time you get some crap you can reply that Nikdo neni
      dokonaly perfectly demonstrates the intellectual level of the Czech

      > Personally, I don't think there's anything so wrong
      with "nadvlada
      > Americanu", but I won't get into that.

      Me neither. I'm just glad I don't sound like a Russian anymore when
      I speak Czech, because that really sucked. (Lesson: Do not learn
      Czech from a Russian.)

      Ausgehende eMail ist virenfrei.
      �berpr�ft durch AVG.
      Version: 7.5.447 / Virendatenbank: 268.18.6/709 - Ausgabedatum: 03.03.2007

      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 8, 2007
        Trolling this list again, Radek?? Be off with you.