Re: [Czechlist] Re: Neco k pobaveni - Zajimave informace o CR -

    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 3, 2007
      On Mar 3, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Liz Spacilova wrote:

      > So James, think of the "poking fun at the Americans" thing as I do -
      > jakesi odreagovani z nadvlady americanu - and laugh along, because
      > if I remember how nasty the 1980s in West Germany was, it will only
      > get raunchier. IMHO
      I laugh along when we do it to ourselves, but this was actually
      presented as something real. The homepage had a report from a
      supposedly reputable news channel in which they isolated out ignorant
      people who couldn't answer questions that the majority of Americans
      CAN answer, and they presented it as a cross-section of Americans'
      knowledge. Then I frequently wind up having to account to Europeans
      for it, because even educated Europeans often take that stuff as
      gospel. The US media never run reports like that on European
      countries, even though it would be easy to find Europeans that stupid.

      It reminds me of the misuse of American education statistics in the
      1990s. One of our national sports is carrying out educational
      studies to show how ignorant our kids are, publishing them in the
      newspaper, and then alternately laughing at them or screaming about
      them. The results of these studies would be printed in European
      newspapers, but at that time the Europeans never carried out similar
      studies of their own children. Thus, in the sborovna, I would
      witness Czech high school teachers congratulating themselves on how
      superior their kids were to the Americans, yet I could -- and did --
      go right into the classroom and get equally bizarre, ignorant
      German cities. If I'd gone and asked kids at the stredni odborne
      uciliste, the answers would have been even worse. That would never
      have gotten into the Czech newspaper, however.

      Anyway, that stuff simply adds to Americans' image of West Europeans
      as insolent but dependent pubertaci.

      Personally, I don't think there's anything so wrong with "nadvlada
      Americanu", but I won't get into that.

      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 8, 2007
        Trolling this list again, Radek?? Be off with you.