Re: [Czechlist] Vztahovacny - English equivalent?

  • Martin Bednarski
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 27, 2007
      Yes, "touchy" is inappropriate to Liz's description, but the problem is that the discreption is inapprotipate to what "vztahovacny" really means.
      I'm afraid that "control freak" is absolutely inappropriate to the meaning of "vztahovacny" (though it may fit the description used by Liz, which however does not correspond to "vztahovacny", etc etc:-)

      > Od: jpklists@...
      > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      > Datum: 27.02.2007 13:43
      > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] Vztahovacny - English equivalent?
      >I think "touchy" is quite inappropriate for the type of person Liz is
      >describing, because often touchy people have no desire to control
      >anything. When a person is touchy, it just means his emotions are
      >very close to the surface, and it's easy to offend him. Occasionally
      >you hear the word touchy used to describe a man who can't keep his
      >hands off women, but that's not its main meaning.
      >On Feb 27, 2007, at 5:49 AM, Jan Culka wrote:
      >> Good morning Liz,
      >> sorry, I think it is you who did not understand well.
      >> What you try to explain might be translated as "clovek, ktery
      >> vsechno stahne na sebe" but this is not used .
      >> "Vztahovacny" is a person who feels offended (or touched) by
      >> something (and everything) which in fact has nothing to do with him
      >> or her.
      >> In this sense "touchy" seems appropriate.
      >> Honza
    • Liz Spacilova
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 16, 2007