Re: [Czechlist] HELP: wide margin

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
      I took it to mean 'easily attained,' 'by a long way'

      Valerie

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
        No to mi pripada trochu nepravdepodobne, ja tomu rozumim tak, ze oba
        cile byly dosazeny s velkou rezervou.

        Zdenek

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
          ...s velkou rezervou
          hth
          Martin

          Jaroslav Hejzlar napsal(a):
          > Hello, dear listmates!
          > I am working on a text about wristwatches and I am not sure how to translate the term "wide margin" in the following context:
          >
          > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was also intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to complement their precious gold one with a ruggedly strong alternative in a steel case. Both objectives were attained by a wide margin and an advertising campaign helped convert the iconoclastic style of the Nautilus into a principle."
          >

          > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
          > Regards,
          > Jarda

        • Josef Hlavac
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
            Jardo,

            My understanding is that they had no trouble meeting the objectives, and
            even exceeded them. ("obou cilu jsme s prehledem dosahli").

            Pepa

            Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:
            > Hello, dear listmates! I am working on a text about wristwatches and
            > I am not sure how to translate the term "wide margin" in the
            > following context:
            >
            > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was
            > also intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to complement
            > their precious gold one with a ruggedly strong alternative in a steel
            > case. Both objectives were attained by a wide margin and an
            > advertising campaign helped convert the iconoclastic style of the
            > Nautilus into a principle."
            >

            > Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Regards, Jarda

            > Anglicke krouzky: http://zehrovak.googlepages.com/circles
            >
            > Lokativ - terminologicky slovnik: http://www.lokativ.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jaroslav Hejzlar
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
              Hello, Gerald, Valerie, Zdenek, Martin and Josef!
              Thanks a lot to all of you!
              Regards,
              Jarda

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                "Margin" here definitely has nothing to do with the profit margin.
                If you win a foot race by a wide margin, there is plenty of space
                between you and your fastest competitor.

                It means they had no trouble attaining their objectives and had great
                success at it.

                They probably made profits, by the way, but that's not specifically
                what "a wide margin" means here.

                Jamie

                On Jan 29, 2007, at 10:26 PM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

                > Hello, dear listmates!
                > I am working on a text about wristwatches and I am not sure how to
                > translate the term "wide margin" in the following context:
                >
                > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was
                > also intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to
                > complement their precious gold one with a ruggedly strong
                > alternative in a steel case. Both objectives were attained by a
                > wide margin and an advertising campaign helped convert the
                > iconoclastic style of the Nautilus into a principle."
                >
                > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
                > Regards,
                > Jarda

              • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                  Thanks, Jamie!
                  Regards,
                  Jarda

                  "Margin" here definitely has nothing to do with the profit margin.
                  If you win a foot race by a wide margin, there is plenty of space
                  between you and your fastest competitor.

                  It means they had no trouble attaining their objectives and had great
                  success at it.

                  They probably made profits, by the way, but that's not specifically
                  what "a wide margin" means here.

                  Jamie

                  On Jan 29, 2007, at 10:26 PM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

                  > Hello, dear listmates!
                  > I am working on a text about wristwatches and I am not sure how to
                  > translate the term "wide margin" in the following context:
                  >
                  > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was
                  > also intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to
                  > complement their precious gold one with a ruggedly strong
                  > alternative in a steel case. Both objectives were attained by a
                  > wide margin and an advertising campaign helped convert the
                  > iconoclastic style of the Nautilus into a principle."
                  >
                  > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
                  > Regards,
                  > Jarda

                • Gerald Turner
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                    I acknowledge my error!

                    Gerry

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                      On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:57 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                      > I acknowledge my error!
                      It's a fine man who can do so! ;-)

                      Especially when he so seldom needs to.