Re: [Czechlist] HELP: wide margin

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
      Profit margin, I would have thought. I.e. they're keeping the price down.

      FWIW

      Gerry

      On 30/01/07, Jaroslav Hejzlar <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:

      > Hello, dear listmates!
      > I am working on a text about wristwatches and I am not sure how to
      > translate the term "wide margin" in the following context:
      >
      > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was also
      > intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to complement their
      > precious gold one with a ruggedly strong alternative in a steel case. Both
      > objectives were attained by a wide margin and an advertising campaign helped
      > convert the iconoclastic style of the Nautilus into a principle."
      >
      > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
      > Regards,
      > Jarda

      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5
      150 00 Prague 5
      Czech Republic
      Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

      Experience*Style*Precision

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
        I took it to mean 'easily attained,' 'by a long way'

        Valerie

        Profit margin, I would have thought. I.e. they're keeping the price down.

        FWIW

        Gerry

        On 30/01/07, Jaroslav Hejzlar <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:

        > Hello, dear listmates!
        > I am working on a text about wristwatches and I am not sure how to
        > translate the term "wide margin" in the following context:
        >
        > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was also
        > intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to complement their
        > precious gold one with a ruggedly strong alternative in a steel case. Both
        > objectives were attained by a wide margin and an advertising campaign helped
        > convert the iconoclastic style of the Nautilus into a principle."
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
        > Regards,
        > Jarda

        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5
        150 00 Prague 5
        Czech Republic
        Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

        Experience*Style*Precision

      • Zdenek Mikan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
          No to mi pripada trochu nepravdepodobne, ja tomu rozumim tak, ze oba
          cile byly dosazeny s velkou rezervou.

          Zdenek

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
            ...s velkou rezervou
            hth
            Martin

            Jaroslav Hejzlar napsal(a):
            > Hello, dear listmates!
            > I am working on a text about wristwatches and I am not sure how to translate the term "wide margin" in the following context:
            >
            > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was also intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to complement their precious gold one with a ruggedly strong alternative in a steel case. Both objectives were attained by a wide margin and an advertising campaign helped convert the iconoclastic style of the Nautilus into a principle."
            >

            > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
            > Regards,
            > Jarda

          • Josef Hlavac
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
              Jardo,

              My understanding is that they had no trouble meeting the objectives, and
              even exceeded them. ("obou cilu jsme s prehledem dosahli").

              Pepa

              Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:
              > Hello, dear listmates! I am working on a text about wristwatches and
              > I am not sure how to translate the term "wide margin" in the
              > following context:
              >
              > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was
              > also intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to complement
              > their precious gold one with a ruggedly strong alternative in a steel
              > case. Both objectives were attained by a wide margin and an
              > advertising campaign helped convert the iconoclastic style of the
              > Nautilus into a principle."
              >

              > Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Regards, Jarda

              > Anglicke krouzky: http://zehrovak.googlepages.com/circles
              >
              > Lokativ - terminologicky slovnik: http://www.lokativ.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                Hello, Gerald, Valerie, Zdenek, Martin and Josef!
                Thanks a lot to all of you!
                Regards,
                Jarda

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                  "Margin" here definitely has nothing to do with the profit margin.
                  If you win a foot race by a wide margin, there is plenty of space
                  between you and your fastest competitor.

                  It means they had no trouble attaining their objectives and had great
                  success at it.

                  They probably made profits, by the way, but that's not specifically
                  what "a wide margin" means here.

                  Jamie

                  On Jan 29, 2007, at 10:26 PM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

                  > Hello, dear listmates!
                  > I am working on a text about wristwatches and I am not sure how to
                  > translate the term "wide margin" in the following context:
                  >
                  > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was
                  > also intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to
                  > complement their precious gold one with a ruggedly strong
                  > alternative in a steel case. Both objectives were attained by a
                  > wide margin and an advertising campaign helped convert the
                  > iconoclastic style of the Nautilus into a principle."
                  >
                  > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
                  > Regards,
                  > Jarda

                • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                    Thanks, Jamie!
                    Regards,
                    Jarda

                    "Margin" here definitely has nothing to do with the profit margin.
                    If you win a foot race by a wide margin, there is plenty of space
                    between you and your fastest competitor.

                    It means they had no trouble attaining their objectives and had great
                    success at it.

                    They probably made profits, by the way, but that's not specifically
                    what "a wide margin" means here.

                    Jamie

                    On Jan 29, 2007, at 10:26 PM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

                    > Hello, dear listmates!
                    > I am working on a text about wristwatches and I am not sure how to
                    > translate the term "wide margin" in the following context:
                    >
                    > "While it was designed to appeal to a new customer segment, it was
                    > also intended to convince current Patek Philippe owners to
                    > complement their precious gold one with a ruggedly strong
                    > alternative in a steel case. Both objectives were attained by a
                    > wide margin and an advertising campaign helped convert the
                    > iconoclastic style of the Nautilus into a principle."
                    >
                    > Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
                    > Regards,
                    > Jarda

                  • Gerald Turner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                      I acknowledge my error!

                      Gerry

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 30, 2007
                        On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:57 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                        > I acknowledge my error!
                        It's a fine man who can do so! ;-)

                        Especially when he so seldom needs to.