Help: strihovy film

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
      Hi there!
      Does anybody have any idea what sort of film this is? Judging by the
      internet, it seems to be used fairly regularly by Czech cineastes, but
      I still can't really tell from the examples I have found what exactly
      it is supposed to mean...
      CONTEXT: Od mladi se venoval amaterskemu filmu a jako samouk natocil
      nekolik desitek autorskych filmu. V roce 1979 emigroval do Nemecka a
      posleze do USA. Zde se prosadil predevsim jako strihac. Zrejme
      nejvyznamnejsi byla jeho spoluprace s reziserem Godfrey Reggiem na
      svetove proslulych strihovych filmech Powaqqatsi, Anima Mundi a
      Naqoyqatsi.

      MTIA
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
        Hi Coilin,

        From what I see on the Web, I conclude that "strihovy film" is one made up
        of 'clips' from different makers. In other words the maker of such a film
        does mainly editing work on it. I don't know what this is called in English,
        but I suppose there is a name for this...

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
          On Jan 24, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:

          > From what I see on the Web, I conclude that "strihovy film" is one
          > made up
          > of 'clips' from different makers. In other words the maker of such
          > a film
          > does mainly editing work on it. I don't know what this is called in
          > English,
          > but I suppose there is a name for this...

          This is often called a "compilation film".

          Wikipedia doesn't agree with me, but here's a definition that does.
          http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/glossary.asp?
          z=y<R=C&TRM=1005988

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
            Strihovy film
            Film vznikající redakcnim zpracovanim archivniho filmoveho materialu;
            strihovy film patri mezi dokumentarni filmovou tvorbu. Byva zameren
            monotematicky a zname historicke fakty osvetluje novym pohledem ci
            vykladem, napriklad Obycejny fasismus (M. I. Romm), Zac jsme bojovali
            (F. Capra). Casto vznikaji strihove filmy i z castí filmu hranych jako
            medailony, biografie urciteho herce ci rezisera (Solo pro Jaroslava
            Marvana (V. Sís).

            http://www.cojeco.cz

            Not an exact match, I'm sure, but I find that the Capra film (Why We
            Fight) and all those you mention are described one place or another as
            "found footage montage/film". Might at least point you in the right
            direction.

            > On Jan 24, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Jirka Bolech wrote:
            >
            > > From what I see on the Web, I conclude that "strihovy film" is one
            > > made up
            > > of 'clips' from different makers. In other words the maker of such
            > > a film
            > > does mainly editing work on it. I don't know what this is called in
            > > English,
            > > but I suppose there is a name for this...

            > This is often called a "compilation film".
          • Bedrich Hadziu
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
              Melvyn is right. It is "found footage" or "found footage montage". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_footage

              It can either be of a documentary or a feature film nature.

              A good example of a documentary found footage is Frank Capra's Why We Fight.

              A good example of a feature found footage is Robert Youngson's The Golden Age of Comedy.

              Best luck,

              Bedrich