Re: [Czechlist] Pravni/financni Anglictina/cestina

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2007
      Helga Listen wrote on 01/19/2007 03:11 AM:
      > a ted mam pocit, ze AJ a CJ nesouhlasi.
      > . . .
      > Any Obligor does not comply with any . . . provision, . . . unless the
      > non-compliance is capable of remedy and is remedied . . ..
      >
      > Kterykoli Povinny nesplni nebo nedodrzi . . . ustanoveni . . ., pokud
      > nelze takovy postup nebo stav napravit a . . . neni napraven . . ..
      >

      > Co mne vadi je to, ze z CJ rozumim: ....pokud se to neda odstranit ...
      >
      > Z AJ rozumim: ... i kdyby se to dalo odstranit ....

      Could you explain why you get that sense from the English? As a U.S.
      lawyer, I read the English as saying "pokud se to nedá odstranit"/"pokud
      nelze to napravit" with no ambiguity. For Czech "i kdyby," the English
      would have to be something like "even though." I see them both as
      expressing the following decision tree:

      done all right?
      yes --> OK
      no --> _can_ it be fixed?
      no --> in default
      yes --> _was_ it [does it get] fixed _in time_?
      no --> in default
      yes --> OK

      HTH.