Re: [Czechlist] Re. Yachting terminology - help needed

  • Terminus Technicus
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
      This was a dinghy (small sailboat) I'm sure, because you don't use stoppers
      or cam cleats on jibsheet on bigger boats AND you don't move the cleat point
      (i.e. the stoppers/cleats), but the blocks.. on small boats, there's often
      no blocks, the sheet goes right into a cam cleat and it can be moved.. and
      certain people call cam cleat stoppers, search for "Harken stoppers" and
      you'll see a lot of them, then look into Images and you'll see some cam
      cleats being called stoppers.

      On a big boat, a halyard would be let from the mast through several blocks
      into the cockpit or onto the cabin roof and go through a stopper with a
      lever there, but on small boats, the halyard is either cleated directly on
      the mast - with a traditional two point cleat, or snapped into a cam cleat
      somewhere there.

      From the sounds of it, I think Dusan was talking about a dinghy

      BTW, there's a big difference between a swiwel mast and a (mast with)
      mast-furling sail, in both Czech and English, Dusan's hypothetical boat
      having the former also indicates it is a sports (and probably smaller) boat.
      Swiwel mast sits on top of a ball hinge and can rotate together with the
      sail to provide a better sail profile (the mast itself is usually
      shaped/streamlined more than a traditional one in this case) and it would
      never contain an in-mast furl, because that's counterproductive (no battens,
      bad sail shape). Mast-furling main is a hollow mast into which the main
      furls, IMHO it's not-normally specified where the sail goes if it goes into
      the mast (this is the traditional system), but it would be specified for
      booom-furling sails/rigs.

      What's the name of the boat/manufacturer, Dusan?

      Matej