Re. Yachting terminology - help needed

  • dusan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
      Could you please help me with the translation of the following terms:

      1. oplachteni a takelaz : sails and rigging?

      2. vysouvaci ploutve: extendable fins?

      3. sklopne kormidelni listy: tilltable rudder leaves?

      4. samonataceci stezen: self-swivel mast???

      5. kosatka: jib

      6. hlavni plachta: main sail?

      7. celospirova hlavni plachta: ???

      8. rollfok kosatky: jib rollfock?

      9. pojezd sopru oteze kosatky: travel of the forsheet stops???

      10. kladky oteze kosatky: pulleys of the jib ropes?

      11. stopry na výtazích plachet: stops on the sail lifts???

      Thanks a lot.

      Dusan
    • Beata Rodlingova
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
        Existuje online jachtarsky slovnik,
        http://www.yachting.cz/slovnik/slovnik.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=AddLink,
        zadala jsem zkusmo takelaz (musi se s diakritikou) a je tam, tak treba
        ti bude platny i s tim ostatnim.
        BR Beata
      • Terminus Technicus
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007

            > I see, stoper - that'll be, surprisingly, a stopper:

            a cleat is actually a better term, I couldn't remember it before.. see:

            http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=cs&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2006-27%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=harken+cleats&btnG=Hledat

            I think your particular one is a cam cleat

          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
              Hello,

              These are from my father (I'm at my parents'), but he says it would be
              helpful to know what sort of boat it is, since the size affects some of the
              translations (e.g. no.2).

              (Is the translation heading for the London Boat Show by any chance?)

              Valerie

              > Could you please help me with the translation of the following terms:

              > 1. oplachteni a takelaz : sails and rigging?

              > 2. vysouvaci ploutve: extendable fins?

              Not sure - depends on type of boat

              > 3. sklopne kormidelni listy: tilltable rudder leaves?

              lifting rudder blades

              > 4. samonataceci stezen: self-swivel mast???

              In-mast furling

              > 5. kosatka: jib

              (or foresail, which is a more general term that would cover both jib and
              genoa)

              > 6. hlavni plachta: main sail?

              mainsail (one word)

              > 7. celospirova hlavni plachta: ???

              fully-battened main

              > 8. rollfok kosatky: jib rollfock?

              furling jib, this sounds like

              > 9. pojezd sopru oteze kosatky: travel of the forsheet stops???

              adjustable jib fairleads

              > 10. kladky oteze kosatky: pulleys of the jib ropes?

              jib blocks

              > 11. stopry na výtazích plachet: stops on the sail lifts???

              halyard stoppers (there's a difference between a cleat and a stopper)

              n.b. only one l in halyard.

              Thanks a lot.

              > Dusan
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
                My father says this is a stopper (which has a lever that goes up and down)
                if it's in connection with a halyard.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2007
                  This was a dinghy (small sailboat) I'm sure, because you don't use stoppers
                  or cam cleats on jibsheet on bigger boats AND you don't move the cleat point
                  (i.e. the stoppers/cleats), but the blocks.. on small boats, there's often
                  no blocks, the sheet goes right into a cam cleat and it can be moved.. and
                  certain people call cam cleat stoppers, search for "Harken stoppers" and
                  you'll see a lot of them, then look into Images and you'll see some cam
                  cleats being called stoppers.

                  On a big boat, a halyard would be let from the mast through several blocks
                  into the cockpit or onto the cabin roof and go through a stopper with a
                  lever there, but on small boats, the halyard is either cleated directly on
                  the mast - with a traditional two point cleat, or snapped into a cam cleat
                  somewhere there.

                  From the sounds of it, I think Dusan was talking about a dinghy

                  BTW, there's a big difference between a swiwel mast and a (mast with)
                  mast-furling sail, in both Czech and English, Dusan's hypothetical boat
                  having the former also indicates it is a sports (and probably smaller) boat.
                  Swiwel mast sits on top of a ball hinge and can rotate together with the
                  sail to provide a better sail profile (the mast itself is usually
                  shaped/streamlined more than a traditional one in this case) and it would
                  never contain an in-mast furl, because that's counterproductive (no battens,
                  bad sail shape). Mast-furling main is a hollow mast into which the main
                  furls, IMHO it's not-normally specified where the sail goes if it goes into
                  the mast (this is the traditional system), but it would be specified for
                  booom-furling sails/rigs.

                  What's the name of the boat/manufacturer, Dusan?

                  Matej