Re: Source of insults

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2006

      > I don't know why, but a very genteel lady who never cusses, and who
      > takes Czech lessons from me, wants me to give her an overview of
      > common Czech insults and cuss words. Does anyone know a good one-
      > stop source of them, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel or labor
      > over the Smírbuch for too long?

      There's the Alternative Czech Dictionary at
      http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/Czech.1.html#so6 , but that
      will probably be a bit thin for your requirements. Surely :-) our
      Czech Czechlisters will be able to supplement it, if asked nicely, or
      you could tell your student to write 'Banik do toho' in a Sparta forum
      and analyse the output for her homework. :-)

      > Also of interest to her, I think, are pairs where both words mean
      the same thing, but the Slavic-derived word is polite, while the
      German-derived one is vulgar or shady, such as "oblicej" and "ksicht",
      > "obchod" and "kseft", etc.

      I seem to remember Pavel Eisner discusses the subject in his Chram i
      Tvrz, if you can get your hands on that.

      Nagyon Boldog Karácsonyt Kívánunk.