Re: [Czechlist] TERMS: besidka, hlaska

  • Hana Viansová
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 21, 2006
      Thank you, Jamie. I wish a doctor would tell me in two months, "Look, Ms Viansova, your baby's just been born!" and I wouldn't even notice:-))).

      So there is absolutely nothing that sounds like "Christmas peasant"? I'd have sworn I saw it in some US movies but of course I might be wrong.

      TIA

      Hanka

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 21, 2006
        Do you mean Xmas pageant? A kind of procession?
        Check these images
        http://images.google.de/images?q=CHRISTMAS%20PAGEANT&hl=cs&lr=lang_en%7Clang_fr%7Clang_de%7Clang_cs%7Clang_es&rlz=1B2GGGL_enAT177&sa=N&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wi

        Jose
        2006/12/21, Hana Viansová <bebeebeee@...>:

        > Thank you, Jamie. I wish a doctor would tell me in two months, "Look, Ms
        > Viansova, your baby's just been born!" and I wouldn't even notice:-))).
        >
        > So there is absolutely nothing that sounds like "Christmas peasant"? I'd
        > have sworn I saw it in some US movies but of course I might be wrong.
        >
        > TIA
        >
        > Hanka

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 21, 2006
          The only Christmas peasant I can think of is the one that Good King Wenceslas saw gathering winter fuel...

          Are you thinking of pageant? I googled for Christmas pageant and can see it exists, but like Jamie, I'd use Christmas show/concert, or play. If the Christmas play reenacts the birth of Jesus, it's called a nativity play (in the UK - is this term also used in the US?). To me, a pageant suggests something with more pomp and circumstance, maybe involving a procession. We had a pageant at school once, but we were enacting tableaus from history for the Queen's Silver Jubilee.

          >"Look, Ms Viansova, your baby's just been born!" and I wouldn't even notice:-))). "

          Me too, but in three months :))

          Happy Christmas!

          Valerie

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 21, 2006
            On Dec 21, 2006, at 3:19 AM, Hana Viansová wrote:

            > So there is absolutely nothing that sounds like "Christmas
            > peasant"? I'd have sworn I saw it in some US movies but of course I
            > might be wrong.
            Oh, wait a minute! I think you mean Christmas PAGEANT! Yeah, yeah,
            that's possible. They didn't use it at my school, but I think some
            schools might.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2006
              On Dec 21, 2006, at 4:48 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

              > Are you thinking of pageant? I googled for Christmas pageant and
              > can see it exists, but like Jamie, I'd use Christmas show/concert,
              > or play. If the Christmas play reenacts the birth of Jesus, it's
              > called a nativity play (in the UK - is this term also used in the
              > US?).
              We would also call it a nativity play, but government-run schools
              aren't allowed to have them anymore, so you won't hear about them much.

              Jamie
            • Hana Viansová
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2006
                Yes, pageant! :-) Thank you, Valerie and Jamie. If you can spare a minute, Jamie, why don't state schools have them any more?

                And another term I've just remembered: kauce. Obviously you'd need to pay bail to get out of prison, but what about when you pay, say a deposit when you're moving into a new apartment? I suppose deposit or first/last rent would do, but my students often argue that dictionaries say "caution" or "caution money" (without context, of course). Would you ever use "caution" to mean money? In what contexts?

                Thanks again,

                Hanka

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 21, 2006
                  On Dec 21, 2006, at 12:07 PM, Hana Viansová wrote:

                  > Yes, pageant! :-) Thank you, Valerie and Jamie. If you can spare a
                  > minute, Jamie, why don't state schools have them any more?
                  Well, they can have Christmas pageants -- or more likely they'll be
                  "holiday pageants" -- but they probably can't have nativity plays.
                  That's because of an imaginary separation of state and religion,
                  which some groups with lawyers claim is in the constitution but
                  isn't. The constitution says that the government is forbidden to
                  establish a state church, and some people who can cause a lot of
                  legal trouble think that it means that no display of anything
                  religious can exist in a public school. It's so weird that some kids
                  have been suspended for reading the Bible to themselves in school
                  during their spare time. There's no law forbidding that, but some
                  teachers think there is, and so the kid gets into trouble.

                  The most obvious effect of this that I saw when I was a child was
                  that in kindergarten, when we received a treat or some food, the
                  teacher led us in a simple prayer that would not offend people from
                  any religion, but by the time I was in first grade it was illegal.
                  Now it gets so extreme that in some states the American history books
                  don't even mention anywhere that the Pilgrims, the Puritans and
                  others came to North America for religious freedom.
                  > And another term I've just remembered: kauce. Obviously you'd need
                  > to pay bail to get out of prison, but what about when you pay, say
                  > a deposit when you're moving into a new apartment? I suppose
                  > deposit or first/last rent would do, but my students often argue
                  > that dictionaries say "caution" or "caution money" (without
                  > context, of course). Would you ever use "caution" to mean money? In
                  > what contexts?
                  In the US we call the money provided before moving into an apartment
                  a "security deposit". It's not the same as the first or last month's
                  rent, because a lot of property owners require that the renter come
                  up with both the security deposit and the first month's rent before
                  moving in.

                  "Kauce" in court for a criminal is "bail" or "bond" in the US. I see
                  no American definition anywhere for "caution money", and I thought it
                  was Czenglish until I googled it and found that it is some kind of
                  security deposit when entering some kind of educational institution
                  in the UK. The term is not understandable internationally, though,
                  and I'd recommend students not use it unless they are talking about
                  schools in the UK to residents of the UK.