Re: [Czechlist] reviving Czech

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2006
      On Nov 8, 2006, at 4:47 PM, Bedrich Hadziu wrote:

      > you wrote: "I think the main problem is that Czechs, like Germans,
      > assimilate to
      > American society much faster and much more thoroughly than some other
      > groups."
      >
      > I am not sure why you see this as a problem. If assimilation is
      > what they wish?

      It's not a problem for the Czechs or the Germans who have immigrated
      and assimilated. It's a problem for groups in the US who want to
      maintain organizations, hold events or provide courses that require
      the immigrants and their descendants to maintain an ethnic identity
      and a sort of pumped up pride in it. You can get the Polish people
      to cooperate, but not the Czechs or Germans. It's fine with me, but
      it's not fine with the would-be obrozenci.

      I see the early phases of this among Iraqi Chaldeans now in Detroit.
      Many first generation immigrants seldom speak a full sentence of
      their native language once they've been here for a couple of years.
      They push English with their kids as soon as they start school, and
      they don't maintain many traditions besides food and religious
      figurines and pictures all over the house. There are some of them
      running around talking about how the Chaldeans have to maintain their
      identity, while many of their compatriots are saying something to the
      effect of, "Forget it! We're in America now! Almost everything is
      better here. I never want to see Iraq again!"