Re: [Czechlist] One more thing

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
      What is vegeta doing in a menu ???!!

      Gerry

      --
      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5

      Experience*Style*Precision

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
        Wow!

        It's monosodium glutamate.

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
          That sounds like a good description.

          Instant vegetable stock, or vegetable stock powder.

          Simon

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@...>
          wrote:

          > vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac
          (root and
          > leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the
          English
          > name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)
          >
          > Sarka

        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
            Thank you Simon, Sarka, Valerie and Gerry. Your comments were most
            appreciated.
            Coilin

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
              Also any idea what they are talking about here?

              Radius postranni hrany (m) 6.5

              It's about snowboards again. (6.5 m seems quite a lot to me...)

              MTIA
              Coilin
            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                Hi!
                This just means the turning radius of the whole board (the same as with alpine skis).
                Jarda

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                  Traditional skis have infinite radius of side edge, so 6.5 m is not that much.
                  Honza

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 9, 2007
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" <culka@...> wrote:
                    > Traditional skis have infinite radius of side edge, so 6.5 m is not
                    that much.

                    Agreed: the skis have a waist: they're narrower at the middle than at
                    the ends. That waist is formed by an arc. If you put a pin 6.5
                    meters to one side of the ski, and draw a circle around the pin 6.5
                    meters in radius, that circle will form the arc that makes the ski
                    narrower at the waist.

                    Yours needing to
                    trim his own waist

                    Michal
                  • coilinoc
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                      Does anybody know what "vinifikovat" might mean?
                      e.g. Vina z jednotlivxch parcel ve vlastnictvi domény se vinifikuji
                      zvlast, a to tradicnim zpusobem ?
                      MTIA
                      Coilin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                        Come on,

                        put the word into your Google window before asking here:

                        (it seems that - in its borader sense, which would fit your sentence - it's a fancy name for "producing wine")

                        Vinifikace | Encyklopedie znalce vín
                        Vinifikace je celý proces výroby vína od zpracování hroznu po lahvování vína.
                        www.znalecvin.cz/encyklopedie/vinifikace/ - 5k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                        Vinarství Pazderka Boretice
                        vinifikace: programové ponorování matolínového klobouku bez prístupu vzduchu pri .... vinifikace: programované ponorování matolinového klobouku bez prístupu ...
                        www.vinarstvipazderka.cz/cervena_vina.htm - 16k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                        Vinarství Pazderka Boretice
                        vinifikace: programové ponorování matolínového klobouku bez prístupu vzduchu pri rízené teplote 20ºC, malolaktická premena kyseliny jablecné na kyselinu ...
                        www.vinarstvipazderka.cz/bila_vina.htm - 10k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                        Batero s.r.o.
                        Vinifikace: tradicní, bílá s jemným lisováním, kvasení pri rízené teplote ... Vinifikace: tradicní, s dlouhou macerací pri rízené teplote ...
                        www.batero.cz/index.php?menu=produkty&katalog=6 - 13k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                        francouzská vína Gabriel Meffre
                        VINIFIKACE - rucní sklizen, peclivé trídení sklizených hroznu jiz na vinici, ... VINIFIKACE - /výroba vína/: separátní strojní sklizen, kvasí na slupkách ...

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                          http://www.znalecvin.cz/encyklopedie/vinifikace/

                          HTH
                          > Od: coilinoc@...
                          > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                          > Datum: 10.12.2007 17:53
                          > Předmět: [Czechlist] One more thing
                          >
                          >Does anybody know what "vinifikovat" might mean?
                          >e.g. Vina z jednotlivxch parcel ve vlastnictvi domény se vinifikuji
                          >zvlast, a to tradicnim zpusobem ?
                          >MTIA
                          >Coilin

                        • Gerald Turner
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                            Try the obvious first, Coilin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winemaking,
                            http://www.haut-brion.com/home/en/chais/vinification.php (although the
                            latter might contain Franglais).

                            Gerry

                            --
                            Czech-In Translations
                            V lesíčku 5

                            To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                            And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                            Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                            And Eternity in an hour.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                              Does anyone have a graceful English translation for the word "hala" in
                              reference to a giant box-shaped industrial building? The dictionaries
                              aren't helping, because "workshop", "hall" and "shop" don't sit right
                              with me.

                              Thanks very much.

                              Jamie
                            • Alena Rysková 2e
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                Just suggestions, otherwise I always liked hall...
                                shed? hangar?
                                Alena

                                Does anyone have a graceful English translation for the word "hala" in
                                reference to a giant box-shaped industrial building? The dictionaries
                                aren't helping, because "workshop", "hall" and "shop" don't sit right
                                with me.

                                Thanks very much.

                              • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                  mmm....I googled "production hall" and everything comes up Czenglish
                                  or Polglish...

                                  sheds are usually fairly small, and a hangar is pretty airplane-
                                  specific.

                                  jamie, I know what you mean - hall is not right, but I can't think of
                                  a better word either..."open-plan industrial building" or "industrial
                                  facility" perhaps?

                                  jennifer

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                    There is a discussion of Halle in the Leo German dictionary forum (
                                    http://tinyurl.com/2ooqr6 ), but you'll get no great joy from that
                                    either. Personally, I might go for hangar-like
                                    structure/warehouse/industrial unit. Lots of examples in Google images.

                                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmánková <jenhejt@...>

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                      I'd always managed with industrial/production facility etc. (for the whole thing) and building A, B etc. for individual "hala" if there were more, mind you, that was in technical reports to do with construction of these things, and it was pretty obvious from the context and the detailed structural specs in the relevant project what it was... if you need to distinguish between different types of production facilities, you'll have to use what Melvyn recommends..

                                      Thanks for your confirmation re the rip-out

                                      Matej

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                        Thanks very much to you all, Alena, Jennifer, Matej and Melvyn.

                                        There was nothing in the document indicating what kind of hala it was,
                                        and I could only guess based on the context of other documents I'd
                                        done involving the same matter (a lawsuit, I'd guess). However, as
                                        far as the writer of this one was concerned, it was simply a generic
                                        steel building with a design number, so there was little I could do.
                                        Since the translation was meant just for quick reference, and not for
                                        beauty, I just called it a hall. It's not accurate, but nothing else
                                        was either, and the client will get the idea.

                                        I'm much obliged to all of you.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                          Has anyone ever had someone who doesn't speak Czech try to edit you
                                          work and distort the meaning based on their notions of taste and
                                          "correctness"?

                                          Last week I did a journalistic article that some company needed
                                          translated, and the agency (i.e., the lady with the telephone and
                                          business card) got a little excited trying to edit the thing. She was
                                          taking clear, blunt statements and trying to make them diplomatic.
                                          She was changing prepositions so that the beneficiary of some action
                                          was changing from the company to the state, and causing a host of
                                          other problems.

                                          As the woman and I discussed the changes on the phone, when I ran into
                                          something that really distorted the meaning, I would tell her, "The
                                          person really said X," and I could hear her breathing get faster and
                                          harder as she tried to stay diplomatic, but she was clearly getting
                                          angry.

                                          I worked for years as a proofreader and editor in communications
                                          companies, and I observed that there is a certain type of editor who
                                          "corrects" texts almost completely without regard to meaning or tone,
                                          and tries to make the text into their own work of art or something.
                                          Some of them even edit out obvious jokes, because they're "not
                                          logical", seemingly unaware that the writer wasn't serious. The most
                                          ham-handed are the ones who used to work for newspapers, because they
                                          even butcher quotes without any concern as to whether the result was
                                          what the speaker meant or not.

                                          I have actually thrown a whole, very large job back before, just
                                          because the editor was so overactive, condescending and often wrong.

                                          Has anyone had similar experiences?

                                          Jamie
                                        • Liz Spacilova
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 13, 2007
                                            Tell me about it. One of my most frustrating experiences I've had was
                                            with a Russian editor with good Czech and fair English who explained
                                            to me how my CZ-EN translation would "sound better" if switched a few
                                            words around, used this word instead of that ... ugh. I am too nice
                                            so I did not send her to the fiery core of the Earth, but I stuck to
                                            my guns and made it clear that any changes she made would be her own
                                            doings and not approved by me.

                                            I think the red-ink-happy editors are the same personality type as
                                            the overactive managers who try to "run the whole show" and are
                                            unable to delegate tasks to their staff because they don't think
                                            anyone will do as good a job as they will. Dealing with this kind of
                                            person is pretty horrible and usually ends with everyone being
                                            disappointed.

                                            I can only suggest making it clear that you stand by what you have
                                            done and if the editor wants to make any changes to something that
                                            will be carrying your name, s/he should use the track changes tool
                                            and send it back to you for cleanup (once). That's perfectly
                                            reasonable, probably faster than haggling over the phone (though not
                                            as enjoyable for the power monger), and less prone to emotion.

                                            Cheers

                                            Liz