Re: One more thing

  • Simon Vollam
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
      Instant vegetable stock, or vegetable stock powder.

      Simon

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@...>
      wrote:

      > vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac
      (root and
      > leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the
      English
      > name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)
      >
      > Sarka
    • Gerald Turner
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
        What is vegeta doing in a menu ???!!

        Gerry

        --
        Czech-In Translations
        V lesíčku 5

        Experience*Style*Precision

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
          Wow!

          It's monosodium glutamate.

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
            That sounds like a good description.

            wrote:

            > vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac
            (root and
            > leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the
            English
            > name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)
            >
            > Sarka

          • coilinoc
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
              Thank you Simon, Sarka, Valerie and Gerry. Your comments were most
              appreciated.
              Coilin

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                Also any idea what they are talking about here?

                Radius postranni hrany (m) 6.5

                It's about snowboards again. (6.5 m seems quite a lot to me...)

                MTIA
                Coilin
              • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                  Hi!
                  This just means the turning radius of the whole board (the same as with alpine skis).
                  Jarda

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                    Traditional skis have infinite radius of side edge, so 6.5 m is not that much.
                    Honza

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 9, 2007
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" <culka@...> wrote:
                      > Traditional skis have infinite radius of side edge, so 6.5 m is not
                      that much.

                      Agreed: the skis have a waist: they're narrower at the middle than at
                      the ends. That waist is formed by an arc. If you put a pin 6.5
                      meters to one side of the ski, and draw a circle around the pin 6.5
                      meters in radius, that circle will form the arc that makes the ski
                      narrower at the waist.

                      Yours needing to
                      trim his own waist

                      Michal
                    • coilinoc
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                        Does anybody know what "vinifikovat" might mean?
                        e.g. Vina z jednotlivxch parcel ve vlastnictvi domény se vinifikuji
                        zvlast, a to tradicnim zpusobem ?
                        MTIA
                        Coilin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                          Come on,

                          put the word into your Google window before asking here:

                          (it seems that - in its borader sense, which would fit your sentence - it's a fancy name for "producing wine")

                          Vinifikace | Encyklopedie znalce vín
                          Vinifikace je celý proces výroby vína od zpracování hroznu po lahvování vína.
                          www.znalecvin.cz/encyklopedie/vinifikace/ - 5k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                          Vinarství Pazderka Boretice
                          vinifikace: programové ponorování matolínového klobouku bez prístupu vzduchu pri .... vinifikace: programované ponorování matolinového klobouku bez prístupu ...
                          www.vinarstvipazderka.cz/cervena_vina.htm - 16k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                          Vinarství Pazderka Boretice
                          vinifikace: programové ponorování matolínového klobouku bez prístupu vzduchu pri rízené teplote 20ºC, malolaktická premena kyseliny jablecné na kyselinu ...
                          www.vinarstvipazderka.cz/bila_vina.htm - 10k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                          Batero s.r.o.
                          Vinifikace: tradicní, bílá s jemným lisováním, kvasení pri rízené teplote ... Vinifikace: tradicní, s dlouhou macerací pri rízené teplote ...
                          www.batero.cz/index.php?menu=produkty&katalog=6 - 13k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                          francouzská vína Gabriel Meffre
                          VINIFIKACE - rucní sklizen, peclivé trídení sklizených hroznu jiz na vinici, ... VINIFIKACE - /výroba vína/: separátní strojní sklizen, kvasí na slupkách ...

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                            http://www.znalecvin.cz/encyklopedie/vinifikace/

                            HTH
                            > Od: coilinoc@...
                            > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                            > Datum: 10.12.2007 17:53
                            > Předmět: [Czechlist] One more thing
                            >
                            >Does anybody know what "vinifikovat" might mean?
                            >e.g. Vina z jednotlivxch parcel ve vlastnictvi domény se vinifikuji
                            >zvlast, a to tradicnim zpusobem ?
                            >MTIA
                            >Coilin

                          • Gerald Turner
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                              Try the obvious first, Coilin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winemaking,
                              http://www.haut-brion.com/home/en/chais/vinification.php (although the
                              latter might contain Franglais).

                              Gerry

                              --
                              Czech-In Translations
                              V lesíčku 5

                              To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                              And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                              Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                              And Eternity in an hour.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                Does anyone have a graceful English translation for the word "hala" in
                                reference to a giant box-shaped industrial building? The dictionaries
                                aren't helping, because "workshop", "hall" and "shop" don't sit right
                                with me.

                                Thanks very much.

                                Jamie
                              • Alena Rysková 2e
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                  Just suggestions, otherwise I always liked hall...
                                  shed? hangar?
                                  Alena

                                  Does anyone have a graceful English translation for the word "hala" in
                                  reference to a giant box-shaped industrial building? The dictionaries
                                  aren't helping, because "workshop", "hall" and "shop" don't sit right
                                  with me.

                                  Thanks very much.

                                • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                    mmm....I googled "production hall" and everything comes up Czenglish
                                    or Polglish...

                                    sheds are usually fairly small, and a hangar is pretty airplane-
                                    specific.

                                    jamie, I know what you mean - hall is not right, but I can't think of
                                    a better word either..."open-plan industrial building" or "industrial
                                    facility" perhaps?

                                    jennifer

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                      There is a discussion of Halle in the Leo German dictionary forum (
                                      http://tinyurl.com/2ooqr6 ), but you'll get no great joy from that
                                      either. Personally, I might go for hangar-like
                                      structure/warehouse/industrial unit. Lots of examples in Google images.

                                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmánková <jenhejt@...>

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                        I'd always managed with industrial/production facility etc. (for the whole thing) and building A, B etc. for individual "hala" if there were more, mind you, that was in technical reports to do with construction of these things, and it was pretty obvious from the context and the detailed structural specs in the relevant project what it was... if you need to distinguish between different types of production facilities, you'll have to use what Melvyn recommends..

                                        Thanks for your confirmation re the rip-out

                                        Matej

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                          Thanks very much to you all, Alena, Jennifer, Matej and Melvyn.

                                          There was nothing in the document indicating what kind of hala it was,
                                          and I could only guess based on the context of other documents I'd
                                          done involving the same matter (a lawsuit, I'd guess). However, as
                                          far as the writer of this one was concerned, it was simply a generic
                                          steel building with a design number, so there was little I could do.
                                          Since the translation was meant just for quick reference, and not for
                                          beauty, I just called it a hall. It's not accurate, but nothing else
                                          was either, and the client will get the idea.

                                          I'm much obliged to all of you.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                            Has anyone ever had someone who doesn't speak Czech try to edit you
                                            work and distort the meaning based on their notions of taste and
                                            "correctness"?

                                            Last week I did a journalistic article that some company needed
                                            translated, and the agency (i.e., the lady with the telephone and
                                            business card) got a little excited trying to edit the thing. She was
                                            taking clear, blunt statements and trying to make them diplomatic.
                                            She was changing prepositions so that the beneficiary of some action
                                            was changing from the company to the state, and causing a host of
                                            other problems.

                                            As the woman and I discussed the changes on the phone, when I ran into
                                            something that really distorted the meaning, I would tell her, "The
                                            person really said X," and I could hear her breathing get faster and
                                            harder as she tried to stay diplomatic, but she was clearly getting
                                            angry.

                                            I worked for years as a proofreader and editor in communications
                                            companies, and I observed that there is a certain type of editor who
                                            "corrects" texts almost completely without regard to meaning or tone,
                                            and tries to make the text into their own work of art or something.
                                            Some of them even edit out obvious jokes, because they're "not
                                            logical", seemingly unaware that the writer wasn't serious. The most
                                            ham-handed are the ones who used to work for newspapers, because they
                                            even butcher quotes without any concern as to whether the result was
                                            what the speaker meant or not.

                                            I have actually thrown a whole, very large job back before, just
                                            because the editor was so overactive, condescending and often wrong.

                                            Has anyone had similar experiences?

                                            Jamie
                                          • Liz Spacilova
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 13, 2007
                                              Tell me about it. One of my most frustrating experiences I've had was
                                              with a Russian editor with good Czech and fair English who explained
                                              to me how my CZ-EN translation would "sound better" if switched a few
                                              words around, used this word instead of that ... ugh. I am too nice
                                              so I did not send her to the fiery core of the Earth, but I stuck to
                                              my guns and made it clear that any changes she made would be her own
                                              doings and not approved by me.

                                              I think the red-ink-happy editors are the same personality type as
                                              the overactive managers who try to "run the whole show" and are
                                              unable to delegate tasks to their staff because they don't think
                                              anyone will do as good a job as they will. Dealing with this kind of
                                              person is pretty horrible and usually ends with everyone being
                                              disappointed.

                                              I can only suggest making it clear that you stand by what you have
                                              done and if the editor wants to make any changes to something that
                                              will be carrying your name, s/he should use the track changes tool
                                              and send it back to you for cleanup (once). That's perfectly
                                              reasonable, probably faster than haggling over the phone (though not
                                              as enjoyable for the power monger), and less prone to emotion.

                                              Cheers

                                              Liz