RE: [Czechlist] One more thing

  • ing.Sárka Rubková
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
      vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac (root and
      leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the English
      name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)

      Sarka

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
        Instant vegetable stock, or vegetable stock powder.

        Simon

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@...>
        wrote:

        > vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac
        (root and
        > leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the
        English
        > name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)
        >
        > Sarka
      • Gerald Turner
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
          What is vegeta doing in a menu ???!!

          Gerry

          --
          Czech-In Translations
          V lesíčku 5

          Experience*Style*Precision

        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
            Wow!

            It's monosodium glutamate.

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
              That sounds like a good description.

              wrote:

              > vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac
              (root and
              > leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the
              English
              > name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)
              >
              > Sarka

            • coilinoc
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
                Thank you Simon, Sarka, Valerie and Gerry. Your comments were most
                appreciated.
                Coilin

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                  Also any idea what they are talking about here?

                  Radius postranni hrany (m) 6.5

                  It's about snowboards again. (6.5 m seems quite a lot to me...)

                  MTIA
                  Coilin
                • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                    Hi!
                    This just means the turning radius of the whole board (the same as with alpine skis).
                    Jarda

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                      Traditional skis have infinite radius of side edge, so 6.5 m is not that much.
                      Honza

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 9, 2007
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" <culka@...> wrote:
                        > Traditional skis have infinite radius of side edge, so 6.5 m is not
                        that much.

                        Agreed: the skis have a waist: they're narrower at the middle than at
                        the ends. That waist is formed by an arc. If you put a pin 6.5
                        meters to one side of the ski, and draw a circle around the pin 6.5
                        meters in radius, that circle will form the arc that makes the ski
                        narrower at the waist.

                        Yours needing to
                        trim his own waist

                        Michal
                      • coilinoc
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                          Does anybody know what "vinifikovat" might mean?
                          e.g. Vina z jednotlivxch parcel ve vlastnictvi domény se vinifikuji
                          zvlast, a to tradicnim zpusobem ?
                          MTIA
                          Coilin
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                            Come on,

                            put the word into your Google window before asking here:

                            (it seems that - in its borader sense, which would fit your sentence - it's a fancy name for "producing wine")

                            Vinifikace | Encyklopedie znalce vín
                            Vinifikace je celý proces výroby vína od zpracování hroznu po lahvování vína.
                            www.znalecvin.cz/encyklopedie/vinifikace/ - 5k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                            Vinarství Pazderka Boretice
                            vinifikace: programové ponorování matolínového klobouku bez prístupu vzduchu pri .... vinifikace: programované ponorování matolinového klobouku bez prístupu ...
                            www.vinarstvipazderka.cz/cervena_vina.htm - 16k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                            Vinarství Pazderka Boretice
                            vinifikace: programové ponorování matolínového klobouku bez prístupu vzduchu pri rízené teplote 20ºC, malolaktická premena kyseliny jablecné na kyselinu ...
                            www.vinarstvipazderka.cz/bila_vina.htm - 10k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                            Batero s.r.o.
                            Vinifikace: tradicní, bílá s jemným lisováním, kvasení pri rízené teplote ... Vinifikace: tradicní, s dlouhou macerací pri rízené teplote ...
                            www.batero.cz/index.php?menu=produkty&katalog=6 - 13k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                            francouzská vína Gabriel Meffre
                            VINIFIKACE - rucní sklizen, peclivé trídení sklizených hroznu jiz na vinici, ... VINIFIKACE - /výroba vína/: separátní strojní sklizen, kvasí na slupkách ...

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                              http://www.znalecvin.cz/encyklopedie/vinifikace/

                              HTH
                              > Od: coilinoc@...
                              > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                              > Datum: 10.12.2007 17:53
                              > Předmět: [Czechlist] One more thing
                              >
                              >Does anybody know what "vinifikovat" might mean?
                              >e.g. Vina z jednotlivxch parcel ve vlastnictvi domény se vinifikuji
                              >zvlast, a to tradicnim zpusobem ?
                              >MTIA
                              >Coilin

                            • Gerald Turner
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                Try the obvious first, Coilin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winemaking,
                                http://www.haut-brion.com/home/en/chais/vinification.php (although the
                                latter might contain Franglais).

                                Gerry

                                --
                                Czech-In Translations
                                V lesíčku 5

                                To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                                And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                                Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                                And Eternity in an hour.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                  Does anyone have a graceful English translation for the word "hala" in
                                  reference to a giant box-shaped industrial building? The dictionaries
                                  aren't helping, because "workshop", "hall" and "shop" don't sit right
                                  with me.

                                  Thanks very much.

                                  Jamie
                                • Alena Rysková 2e
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                    Just suggestions, otherwise I always liked hall...
                                    shed? hangar?
                                    Alena

                                    Does anyone have a graceful English translation for the word "hala" in
                                    reference to a giant box-shaped industrial building? The dictionaries
                                    aren't helping, because "workshop", "hall" and "shop" don't sit right
                                    with me.

                                    Thanks very much.

                                  • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                      mmm....I googled "production hall" and everything comes up Czenglish
                                      or Polglish...

                                      sheds are usually fairly small, and a hangar is pretty airplane-
                                      specific.

                                      jamie, I know what you mean - hall is not right, but I can't think of
                                      a better word either..."open-plan industrial building" or "industrial
                                      facility" perhaps?

                                      jennifer

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                        There is a discussion of Halle in the Leo German dictionary forum (
                                        http://tinyurl.com/2ooqr6 ), but you'll get no great joy from that
                                        either. Personally, I might go for hangar-like
                                        structure/warehouse/industrial unit. Lots of examples in Google images.

                                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmánková <jenhejt@...>

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                          I'd always managed with industrial/production facility etc. (for the whole thing) and building A, B etc. for individual "hala" if there were more, mind you, that was in technical reports to do with construction of these things, and it was pretty obvious from the context and the detailed structural specs in the relevant project what it was... if you need to distinguish between different types of production facilities, you'll have to use what Melvyn recommends..

                                          Thanks for your confirmation re the rip-out

                                          Matej

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                            Thanks very much to you all, Alena, Jennifer, Matej and Melvyn.

                                            There was nothing in the document indicating what kind of hala it was,
                                            and I could only guess based on the context of other documents I'd
                                            done involving the same matter (a lawsuit, I'd guess). However, as
                                            far as the writer of this one was concerned, it was simply a generic
                                            steel building with a design number, so there was little I could do.
                                            Since the translation was meant just for quick reference, and not for
                                            beauty, I just called it a hall. It's not accurate, but nothing else
                                            was either, and the client will get the idea.

                                            I'm much obliged to all of you.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                              Has anyone ever had someone who doesn't speak Czech try to edit you
                                              work and distort the meaning based on their notions of taste and
                                              "correctness"?

                                              Last week I did a journalistic article that some company needed
                                              translated, and the agency (i.e., the lady with the telephone and
                                              business card) got a little excited trying to edit the thing. She was
                                              taking clear, blunt statements and trying to make them diplomatic.
                                              She was changing prepositions so that the beneficiary of some action
                                              was changing from the company to the state, and causing a host of
                                              other problems.

                                              As the woman and I discussed the changes on the phone, when I ran into
                                              something that really distorted the meaning, I would tell her, "The
                                              person really said X," and I could hear her breathing get faster and
                                              harder as she tried to stay diplomatic, but she was clearly getting
                                              angry.

                                              I worked for years as a proofreader and editor in communications
                                              companies, and I observed that there is a certain type of editor who
                                              "corrects" texts almost completely without regard to meaning or tone,
                                              and tries to make the text into their own work of art or something.
                                              Some of them even edit out obvious jokes, because they're "not
                                              logical", seemingly unaware that the writer wasn't serious. The most
                                              ham-handed are the ones who used to work for newspapers, because they
                                              even butcher quotes without any concern as to whether the result was
                                              what the speaker meant or not.

                                              I have actually thrown a whole, very large job back before, just
                                              because the editor was so overactive, condescending and often wrong.

                                              Has anyone had similar experiences?

                                              Jamie
                                            • Liz Spacilova
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 13, 2007
                                                Tell me about it. One of my most frustrating experiences I've had was
                                                with a Russian editor with good Czech and fair English who explained
                                                to me how my CZ-EN translation would "sound better" if switched a few
                                                words around, used this word instead of that ... ugh. I am too nice
                                                so I did not send her to the fiery core of the Earth, but I stuck to
                                                my guns and made it clear that any changes she made would be her own
                                                doings and not approved by me.

                                                I think the red-ink-happy editors are the same personality type as
                                                the overactive managers who try to "run the whole show" and are
                                                unable to delegate tasks to their staff because they don't think
                                                anyone will do as good a job as they will. Dealing with this kind of
                                                person is pretty horrible and usually ends with everyone being
                                                disappointed.

                                                I can only suggest making it clear that you stand by what you have
                                                done and if the editor wants to make any changes to something that
                                                will be carrying your name, s/he should use the track changes tool
                                                and send it back to you for cleanup (once). That's perfectly
                                                reasonable, probably faster than haggling over the phone (though not
                                                as enjoyable for the power monger), and less prone to emotion.

                                                Cheers

                                                Liz