One more thing

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
      Can anyone think of a more precise translation of vegeta than "seasoning"?
      MTIA
      Coilin
    • ing.Sárka Rubková
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
        vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac (root and
        leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the English
        name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)

        Sarka

        Can anyone think of a more precise translation of vegeta than "seasoning"?
        MTIA
        Coilin

      • Simon Vollam
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
          Instant vegetable stock, or vegetable stock powder.

          Simon

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, ing.Sárka Rubková <rubkova@...>
          wrote:

          > vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac
          (root and
          > leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the
          English
          > name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)
          >
          > Sarka
        • Gerald Turner
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
            What is vegeta doing in a menu ???!!

            Gerry

            --
            Czech-In Translations
            V lesíčku 5

            Experience*Style*Precision

          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
              Wow!

              It's monosodium glutamate.

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
                That sounds like a good description.

                wrote:

                > vegeta is composed of dried and ground carrot, parsley, celeriac
                (root and
                > leaves), kohlrabi, garlic, salt, lovage, onion, and (I dont know the
                English
                > name) Glutaman sodný (chinese know it as wei-su)
                >
                > Sarka

              • coilinoc
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Thank you Simon, Sarka, Valerie and Gerry. Your comments were most
                  appreciated.
                  Coilin

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 8 3:41 AM
                    Also any idea what they are talking about here?

                    Radius postranni hrany (m) 6.5

                    It's about snowboards again. (6.5 m seems quite a lot to me...)

                    MTIA
                    Coilin
                  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 8 4:04 AM
                      Hi!
                      This just means the turning radius of the whole board (the same as with alpine skis).
                      Jarda

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 8 4:07 AM
                        Traditional skis have infinite radius of side edge, so 6.5 m is not that much.
                        Honza

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 9 1:08 PM
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" <culka@...> wrote:
                          > Traditional skis have infinite radius of side edge, so 6.5 m is not
                          that much.

                          Agreed: the skis have a waist: they're narrower at the middle than at
                          the ends. That waist is formed by an arc. If you put a pin 6.5
                          meters to one side of the ski, and draw a circle around the pin 6.5
                          meters in radius, that circle will form the arc that makes the ski
                          narrower at the waist.

                          Yours needing to
                          trim his own waist

                          Michal
                        • coilinoc
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                            Does anybody know what "vinifikovat" might mean?
                            e.g. Vina z jednotlivxch parcel ve vlastnictvi domény se vinifikuji
                            zvlast, a to tradicnim zpusobem ?
                            MTIA
                            Coilin
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                              Come on,

                              put the word into your Google window before asking here:

                              (it seems that - in its borader sense, which would fit your sentence - it's a fancy name for "producing wine")

                              Vinifikace | Encyklopedie znalce vín
                              Vinifikace je celý proces výroby vína od zpracování hroznu po lahvování vína.
                              www.znalecvin.cz/encyklopedie/vinifikace/ - 5k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                              Vinarství Pazderka Boretice
                              vinifikace: programové ponorování matolínového klobouku bez prístupu vzduchu pri .... vinifikace: programované ponorování matolinového klobouku bez prístupu ...
                              www.vinarstvipazderka.cz/cervena_vina.htm - 16k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                              Vinarství Pazderka Boretice
                              vinifikace: programové ponorování matolínového klobouku bez prístupu vzduchu pri rízené teplote 20ºC, malolaktická premena kyseliny jablecné na kyselinu ...
                              www.vinarstvipazderka.cz/bila_vina.htm - 10k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                              Batero s.r.o.
                              Vinifikace: tradicní, bílá s jemným lisováním, kvasení pri rízené teplote ... Vinifikace: tradicní, s dlouhou macerací pri rízené teplote ...
                              www.batero.cz/index.php?menu=produkty&katalog=6 - 13k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

                              francouzská vína Gabriel Meffre
                              VINIFIKACE - rucní sklizen, peclivé trídení sklizených hroznu jiz na vinici, ... VINIFIKACE - /výroba vína/: separátní strojní sklizen, kvasí na slupkách ...

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                http://www.znalecvin.cz/encyklopedie/vinifikace/

                                HTH
                                > Od: coilinoc@...
                                > Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                                > Datum: 10.12.2007 17:53
                                > Předmět: [Czechlist] One more thing
                                >
                                >Does anybody know what "vinifikovat" might mean?
                                >e.g. Vina z jednotlivxch parcel ve vlastnictvi domény se vinifikuji
                                >zvlast, a to tradicnim zpusobem ?
                                >MTIA
                                >Coilin

                              • Gerald Turner
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                  Try the obvious first, Coilin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winemaking,
                                  http://www.haut-brion.com/home/en/chais/vinification.php (although the
                                  latter might contain Franglais).

                                  Gerry

                                  --
                                  Czech-In Translations
                                  V lesíčku 5

                                  To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                                  And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                                  Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                                  And Eternity in an hour.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                    Does anyone have a graceful English translation for the word "hala" in
                                    reference to a giant box-shaped industrial building? The dictionaries
                                    aren't helping, because "workshop", "hall" and "shop" don't sit right
                                    with me.

                                    Thanks very much.

                                    Jamie
                                  • Alena Rysková 2e
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 10, 2007
                                      Just suggestions, otherwise I always liked hall...
                                      shed? hangar?
                                      Alena

                                      Does anyone have a graceful English translation for the word "hala" in
                                      reference to a giant box-shaped industrial building? The dictionaries
                                      aren't helping, because "workshop", "hall" and "shop" don't sit right
                                      with me.

                                      Thanks very much.

                                    • Jennifer Hejtmánková
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                        mmm....I googled "production hall" and everything comes up Czenglish
                                        or Polglish...

                                        sheds are usually fairly small, and a hangar is pretty airplane-
                                        specific.

                                        jamie, I know what you mean - hall is not right, but I can't think of
                                        a better word either..."open-plan industrial building" or "industrial
                                        facility" perhaps?

                                        jennifer

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                          There is a discussion of Halle in the Leo German dictionary forum (
                                          http://tinyurl.com/2ooqr6 ), but you'll get no great joy from that
                                          either. Personally, I might go for hangar-like
                                          structure/warehouse/industrial unit. Lots of examples in Google images.

                                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Hejtmánková <jenhejt@...>

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                            I'd always managed with industrial/production facility etc. (for the whole thing) and building A, B etc. for individual "hala" if there were more, mind you, that was in technical reports to do with construction of these things, and it was pretty obvious from the context and the detailed structural specs in the relevant project what it was... if you need to distinguish between different types of production facilities, you'll have to use what Melvyn recommends..

                                            Thanks for your confirmation re the rip-out

                                            Matej

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                              Thanks very much to you all, Alena, Jennifer, Matej and Melvyn.

                                              There was nothing in the document indicating what kind of hala it was,
                                              and I could only guess based on the context of other documents I'd
                                              done involving the same matter (a lawsuit, I'd guess). However, as
                                              far as the writer of this one was concerned, it was simply a generic
                                              steel building with a design number, so there was little I could do.
                                              Since the translation was meant just for quick reference, and not for
                                              beauty, I just called it a hall. It's not accurate, but nothing else
                                              was either, and the client will get the idea.

                                              I'm much obliged to all of you.

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 11, 2007
                                                Has anyone ever had someone who doesn't speak Czech try to edit you
                                                work and distort the meaning based on their notions of taste and
                                                "correctness"?

                                                Last week I did a journalistic article that some company needed
                                                translated, and the agency (i.e., the lady with the telephone and
                                                business card) got a little excited trying to edit the thing. She was
                                                taking clear, blunt statements and trying to make them diplomatic.
                                                She was changing prepositions so that the beneficiary of some action
                                                was changing from the company to the state, and causing a host of
                                                other problems.

                                                As the woman and I discussed the changes on the phone, when I ran into
                                                something that really distorted the meaning, I would tell her, "The
                                                person really said X," and I could hear her breathing get faster and
                                                harder as she tried to stay diplomatic, but she was clearly getting
                                                angry.

                                                I worked for years as a proofreader and editor in communications
                                                companies, and I observed that there is a certain type of editor who
                                                "corrects" texts almost completely without regard to meaning or tone,
                                                and tries to make the text into their own work of art or something.
                                                Some of them even edit out obvious jokes, because they're "not
                                                logical", seemingly unaware that the writer wasn't serious. The most
                                                ham-handed are the ones who used to work for newspapers, because they
                                                even butcher quotes without any concern as to whether the result was
                                                what the speaker meant or not.

                                                I have actually thrown a whole, very large job back before, just
                                                because the editor was so overactive, condescending and often wrong.

                                                Has anyone had similar experiences?

                                                Jamie
                                              • Liz Spacilova
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 13, 2007
                                                  Tell me about it. One of my most frustrating experiences I've had was
                                                  with a Russian editor with good Czech and fair English who explained
                                                  to me how my CZ-EN translation would "sound better" if switched a few
                                                  words around, used this word instead of that ... ugh. I am too nice
                                                  so I did not send her to the fiery core of the Earth, but I stuck to
                                                  my guns and made it clear that any changes she made would be her own
                                                  doings and not approved by me.

                                                  I think the red-ink-happy editors are the same personality type as
                                                  the overactive managers who try to "run the whole show" and are
                                                  unable to delegate tasks to their staff because they don't think
                                                  anyone will do as good a job as they will. Dealing with this kind of
                                                  person is pretty horrible and usually ends with everyone being
                                                  disappointed.

                                                  I can only suggest making it clear that you stand by what you have
                                                  done and if the editor wants to make any changes to something that
                                                  will be carrying your name, s/he should use the track changes tool
                                                  and send it back to you for cleanup (once). That's perfectly
                                                  reasonable, probably faster than haggling over the phone (though not
                                                  as enjoyable for the power monger), and less prone to emotion.

                                                  Cheers

                                                  Liz