Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:
      I wonder if anyone can think of a phrase in
      > English that will at least slightly capture the whole coins/lentils
      > thing...

      And for those who'd like to make sure they've got their finger on the
      PULSE of the financial world this year....

      M.
    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        Maybe you could just go for an explanation of the tradition - which I'm sure the people having the meal would appreciate - and say something like:

        'Lentils traditionally symbolise money. Here's to a prosperous New Year!'

        or something.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2006
          Jako vzdy opozdene, proto jiz nevazne:

          Kdyz Italie zavedla Euro, zacali si Italove kupovat nove penezenky. Misto na
          milionove bankovky tak na Euro mince.
          Prekladatele z Italie psali, ze byli trikrat podvedeni: snizili se jim ceny,
          snizili se jim prijmy; prestoze jsou na zbozi nizsi cenovky, penize drive
          utrati; prestoze maji mene penez, jsou penize tezsi.

          Prani "ABY VAM MINCE V NOVEM ROCE PRIBYVALY" by mi mohl rici zastance
          zavedeni Eura u nas. Bohuzel si budu muset jeste nekolik let pockat.

          Milan
          Sleduji denni prehled.

          From: coilinoc
          1b. Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting
          From: melvyn.geo
          1c. Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting
          From: Valerie Talacko
        • ing.Sarka Rubkova
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
            Hi, I agree with Valerie, that so explanation of this Czech tradition is
            necessary

            Sarka

            From: coilinoc
            1b. Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting
            From: melvyn.geo
            1c. Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting
            From: Valerie Talacko