Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hi there,
      I've got a New Year's Eve menu in front of me. The last item is ham
      with lentil salad, which is preceded by the greeting: ABY VAM MINCE V
      NOVEM ROCE PRIBYVALY.
      I'm trying to think of something that doesn't sound stupid in English.
      I suppose as a last resort I could simply say "We wish you a
      prosperous new year" but I wonder if anyone can think of a phrase in
      English that will at least slightly capture the whole coins/lentils
      thing...
      MTIA
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:
        I wonder if anyone can think of a phrase in
        > English that will at least slightly capture the whole coins/lentils
        > thing...

        And for those who'd like to make sure they've got their finger on the
        PULSE of the financial world this year....

        M.
      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
          Maybe you could just go for an explanation of the tradition - which I'm sure the people having the meal would appreciate - and say something like:

          'Lentils traditionally symbolise money. Here's to a prosperous New Year!'

          or something.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2006
            Jako vzdy opozdene, proto jiz nevazne:

            Kdyz Italie zavedla Euro, zacali si Italove kupovat nove penezenky. Misto na
            milionove bankovky tak na Euro mince.
            Prekladatele z Italie psali, ze byli trikrat podvedeni: snizili se jim ceny,
            snizili se jim prijmy; prestoze jsou na zbozi nizsi cenovky, penize drive
            utrati; prestoze maji mene penez, jsou penize tezsi.

            Prani "ABY VAM MINCE V NOVEM ROCE PRIBYVALY" by mi mohl rici zastance
            zavedeni Eura u nas. Bohuzel si budu muset jeste nekolik let pockat.

            Milan
            Sleduji denni prehled.

            From: coilinoc
            1b. Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting
            From: melvyn.geo
            1c. Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting
            From: Valerie Talacko
          • ing.Sarka Rubkova
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
              Hi, I agree with Valerie, that so explanation of this Czech tradition is
              necessary

              Sarka

              From: coilinoc
              1b. Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting
              From: melvyn.geo
              1c. Re: Help: Culturally specific new year's greeting
              From: Valerie Talacko