Re: [Czechlist] DANGER, WARNING, CAUTION

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2006
      I think that if faced with an immediate hazard that could result in personal injury or death, I'd want it to be marked with a 'DANGER' sign rather than just a 'WARNING' one. However, the examples under 'Warning' sound fine - it's just the definition that sounds a bit out. While there is a difference between 'will' and 'could,' both speak of immediate hazards, which to me sounds like danger whether the damage will or merely could take place.

      Valerie

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
        I somehow miss next to personal injury and/or death also - damage to
        equipment/property.

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "radekpletka" <RPletka@...> wrote:

        > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
        > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over
        the
        > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
        > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on
        this.
        > Please ASAP. Thank you.
        >
        > 1) DANGER
        > Definition:
        > It indicates an immediate hazard that will result in severe
        personal
        > injury or death.
        > Example:
        > DANGER
        > Explosive gases! Do not smoke. Keep sparks and flames away from the
        > vehicle and service area. Ventilate when charging or operating
        vehicle
        > in an enclosed area. Wear a full face shield and rubber gloves when
        > working on or near batteries.
        > 2) WARNING
        > Definition:
        > It indicates an immediate hazard that could result in severe
        personal
        > injury or death.
        > Example:
        > WARNING
        > Before allowing anyone to drive the vehicle, make sure the driver
        is
        > familiar with all controls and operating procedures. Do not shift
        the
        > Forward/Reverse handle or switch while the vehicle is in motion. To
        > avoid injury to an unsuspecting passenger or damage to the vehicle,
        > always bring the vehicle to a full stop before shifting the handle
        or
        > switch.
        > 3) CAUTION
        > Definition:
        > It indicates a hazard or unsafe practice that could result in minor
        > personal injury.
        > Example:
        > CAUTION
        > When stopped on a hill, use the brake pedal to hold your position.
        Do
        > not use the accelerator pedal.

      • ing.Sárka Rubková
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2006
          It seems to me that Radek was rather interested in translation of these
          terms to Czech that assessment of their definition and use in English.
          Am I right?

          sarka