Re: [Czechlist] Help: Trpet pro paradu

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
      The expression is 'you have to suffer to be beautiful.'

      Valerie

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
        Thanks, Valerie.
        I was kind of hoping we had something snappier in English.
        I remember once attending an aerobics class many years ago (don't ask how I got myself into such a situation!) and the instructor kept barking "No pain, no gain!" whenever people started slacking off.
        I wonder would that also work in this context?
        Coilin

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
          Suffering for fashion.

          Gerry

          On 15/09/06, Coilin O Connor <coilinoc@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Valerie.
          > I was kind of hoping we had something snappier in English.
          > I remember once attending an aerobics class many years ago (don't ask how
          > I got myself into such a situation!) and the instructor kept barking "No
          > pain, no gain!" whenever people started slacking off.
          > I wonder would that also work in this context?
          > Coilin
          >

          > Valerie Talacko <valerie@... <valerie%40valerietalacko.com>>
          > wrote:
          > The expression is 'you have to suffer to be beautiful.'
          >
          > Valerie

          Czech-In Translations
          V lesíčku 5
          150 00 Prague 5
          Czech Republic
          Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

          Experience*Style*Precision

        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
            Thanks, Gerald.
            I'm now toying with "fashion victim" which is pretty common for
            describing people who go to extremes to stay in style, but I guess
            all the suggestions made would be usuable.
            Best regards
            Coilin

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner"
            <turner.gerald@...> wrote:

            > Suffering for fashion.
            >
            > Gerry
            >
            > On 15/09/06, Coilin O Connor <coilinoc@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, Valerie.
            > > I was kind of hoping we had something snappier in English.
            > > I remember once attending an aerobics class many years ago
            (don't ask how
            > > I got myself into such a situation!) and the instructor kept
            barking "No
            > > pain, no gain!" whenever people started slacking off.
            > > I wonder would that also work in this context?
            > > Coilin
            > >

            > > Valerie Talacko <valerie@... <valerie%40valerietalacko.com>>
            > > wrote:
            > > The expression is 'you have to suffer to be beautiful.'
            > >
            > > Valerie

          • muwalakembe
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
              I believe the phrase goes "pain for beauty", or even "pain-for-
              beauty", depending on the context, it may be used on its own or
              something along the lines of suffer/endure, etc.
              Veronika

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

              > Hi there,
              > A colleague of mine asked for help with the following:
              >
              > existuje v anglictine nejaky obrat pro rceni:
              > "Trpet pro paradu"? (Jakoze nosit modni, ale nepohodlne veci, nebo
              si
              > kvuli stihlemu pasu nechat vyoperovat zebra atd...)?
              >
              > I know in English people can "suffer for their art" but I'm
              racking my
              > brains to come up with an expression that corresponds to this. I
              have
              > a feeling there must be something, but I can't think of anything
              > offhand.
              > Are there any NSers out there who have any ideas?
              > MTIA
              > Coilin

            • muwalakembe
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
                Coilin, your description would also fit a "fashionista". Veronika