Re: DANGER, WARNING, CAUTION

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2006
      Those definitions sound fine to my layman's ears, Radek. But, as
      Michael says, a lot might depend on the context of their usage.
      Coilin

      > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
      > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over
      the
      > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
      > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on
      this.
      > Please ASAP. Thank you.
      >
      > 1) DANGER
      > Definition:
      > It indicates an immediate hazard that will result in severe
      personal
      > injury or death.
      > Example:
      > DANGER
      > Explosive gases! Do not smoke. Keep sparks and flames away from the
      > vehicle and service area. Ventilate when charging or operating
      vehicle
      > in an enclosed area. Wear a full face shield and rubber gloves when
      > working on or near batteries.
      > 2) WARNING
      > Definition:
      > It indicates an immediate hazard that could result in severe
      personal
      > injury or death.
      > Example:
      > WARNING
      > Before allowing anyone to drive the vehicle, make sure the driver
      is
      > familiar with all controls and operating procedures. Do not shift
      the
      > Forward/Reverse handle or switch while the vehicle is in motion. To
      > avoid injury to an unsuspecting passenger or damage to the vehicle,
      > always bring the vehicle to a full stop before shifting the handle
      or
      > switch.
      > 3) CAUTION
      > Definition:
      > It indicates a hazard or unsafe practice that could result in minor
      > personal injury.
      > Example:
      > CAUTION
      > When stopped on a hill, use the brake pedal to hold your position.
      Do
      > not use the accelerator pedal.

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2006
        I think that if faced with an immediate hazard that could result in personal injury or death, I'd want it to be marked with a 'DANGER' sign rather than just a 'WARNING' one. However, the examples under 'Warning' sound fine - it's just the definition that sounds a bit out. While there is a difference between 'will' and 'could,' both speak of immediate hazards, which to me sounds like danger whether the damage will or merely could take place.

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
          I somehow miss next to personal injury and/or death also - damage to
          equipment/property.

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "radekpletka" <RPletka@...> wrote:

          > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
          > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over
          the
          > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
          > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on
          this.
          > Please ASAP. Thank you.
          >
          > 1) DANGER
          > Definition:
          > It indicates an immediate hazard that will result in severe
          personal
          > injury or death.
          > Example:
          > DANGER
          > Explosive gases! Do not smoke. Keep sparks and flames away from the
          > vehicle and service area. Ventilate when charging or operating
          vehicle
          > in an enclosed area. Wear a full face shield and rubber gloves when
          > working on or near batteries.
          > 2) WARNING
          > Definition:
          > It indicates an immediate hazard that could result in severe
          personal
          > injury or death.
          > Example:
          > WARNING
          > Before allowing anyone to drive the vehicle, make sure the driver
          is
          > familiar with all controls and operating procedures. Do not shift
          the
          > Forward/Reverse handle or switch while the vehicle is in motion. To
          > avoid injury to an unsuspecting passenger or damage to the vehicle,
          > always bring the vehicle to a full stop before shifting the handle
          or
          > switch.
          > 3) CAUTION
          > Definition:
          > It indicates a hazard or unsafe practice that could result in minor
          > personal injury.
          > Example:
          > CAUTION
          > When stopped on a hill, use the brake pedal to hold your position.
          Do
          > not use the accelerator pedal.

        • ing.Sárka Rubková
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2006
            It seems to me that Radek was rather interested in translation of these
            terms to Czech that assessment of their definition and use in English.
            Am I right?

            sarka