Help: Trpet pro paradu

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
      Hi there,
      A colleague of mine asked for help with the following:

      existuje v anglictine nejaky obrat pro rceni:
      "Trpet pro paradu"? (Jakoze nosit modni, ale nepohodlne veci, nebo si
      kvuli stihlemu pasu nechat vyoperovat zebra atd...)?

      I know in English people can "suffer for their art" but I'm racking my
      brains to come up with an expression that corresponds to this. I have
      a feeling there must be something, but I can't think of anything
      offhand.
      Are there any NSers out there who have any ideas?
      MTIA
      Coilin
    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
        The expression is 'you have to suffer to be beautiful.'

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
          Thanks, Valerie.
          I was kind of hoping we had something snappier in English.
          I remember once attending an aerobics class many years ago (don't ask how I got myself into such a situation!) and the instructor kept barking "No pain, no gain!" whenever people started slacking off.
          I wonder would that also work in this context?
          Coilin

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
            Suffering for fashion.

            Gerry

            On 15/09/06, Coilin O Connor <coilinoc@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Valerie.
            > I was kind of hoping we had something snappier in English.
            > I remember once attending an aerobics class many years ago (don't ask how
            > I got myself into such a situation!) and the instructor kept barking "No
            > pain, no gain!" whenever people started slacking off.
            > I wonder would that also work in this context?
            > Coilin
            >

            > Valerie Talacko <valerie@... <valerie%40valerietalacko.com>>
            > wrote:
            > The expression is 'you have to suffer to be beautiful.'
            >
            > Valerie

            Czech-In Translations
            V lesíčku 5
            150 00 Prague 5
            Czech Republic
            Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

            Experience*Style*Precision

          • coilinoc
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
              Thanks, Gerald.
              I'm now toying with "fashion victim" which is pretty common for
              describing people who go to extremes to stay in style, but I guess
              all the suggestions made would be usuable.
              Best regards
              Coilin

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Turner"
              <turner.gerald@...> wrote:

              > Suffering for fashion.
              >
              > Gerry
              >
              > On 15/09/06, Coilin O Connor <coilinoc@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks, Valerie.
              > > I was kind of hoping we had something snappier in English.
              > > I remember once attending an aerobics class many years ago
              (don't ask how
              > > I got myself into such a situation!) and the instructor kept
              barking "No
              > > pain, no gain!" whenever people started slacking off.
              > > I wonder would that also work in this context?
              > > Coilin
              > >

              > > Valerie Talacko <valerie@... <valerie%40valerietalacko.com>>
              > > wrote:
              > > The expression is 'you have to suffer to be beautiful.'
              > >
              > > Valerie

            • muwalakembe
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
                I believe the phrase goes "pain for beauty", or even "pain-for-
                beauty", depending on the context, it may be used on its own or
                something along the lines of suffer/endure, etc.
                Veronika

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilinoc@...> wrote:

                > Hi there,
                > A colleague of mine asked for help with the following:
                >
                > existuje v anglictine nejaky obrat pro rceni:
                > "Trpet pro paradu"? (Jakoze nosit modni, ale nepohodlne veci, nebo
                si
                > kvuli stihlemu pasu nechat vyoperovat zebra atd...)?
                >
                > I know in English people can "suffer for their art" but I'm
                racking my
                > brains to come up with an expression that corresponds to this. I
                have
                > a feeling there must be something, but I can't think of anything
                > offhand.
                > Are there any NSers out there who have any ideas?
                > MTIA
                > Coilin

              • muwalakembe
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
                  Coilin, your description would also fit a "fashionista". Veronika