Re: [Czechlist] DANGER, WARNING, CAUTION

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2006
      Radek Pletka apparently wrote as follows on 09/14/2006 04:14 PM:
      > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
      > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over the
      > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
      > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on this.
      > Please ASAP. Thank you.
      >
      > 1) DANGER
      > 2) WARNING
      > 3) CAUTION

      It may depend in part on who is expected to read the material, Radek.
      See http://www.rfsigns.com/RFSigns%20NAB%202004%20rev5.pdf for more than
      you could possibly want to know, including a discussion not only of the
      nature of the risk and the categorization of possible (or likely, or
      reasonably foreseeable or predictable -- take your pick) injury, but
      also the place and the existence of a continuum or of discontinuity in
      the environment immediately where the word is seen or read.

      Also consider some federal law, e.g., 29 C.F.R. § 1910.145(f)(7), which
      says that ``Warning tags may be used to represent a hazard level between
      "Caution" and "Danger," instead of the required "Caution" tag, provided
      that they have a signal word of "Warning," an appropriate major message,
      and otherwise meet the general tag criteria of paragraph (f)(4) of this
      section."``

      And of course there are "Please note," "beware!," "careful!," "lethal,"
      "severe risk," "unsafe," and more. And there are studies of consumer
      perception (or lack thereof) of the kind of distinction intended by the
      CFR. In the end, it's not that I agree or disagree, it's a question of
      the purpose and audience.
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2006
        Those definitions sound fine to my layman's ears, Radek. But, as
        Michael says, a lot might depend on the context of their usage.
        Coilin

        > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
        > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over
        the
        > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
        > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on
        this.
        > Please ASAP. Thank you.
        >
        > 1) DANGER
        > Definition:
        > It indicates an immediate hazard that will result in severe
        personal
        > injury or death.
        > Example:
        > DANGER
        > Explosive gases! Do not smoke. Keep sparks and flames away from the
        > vehicle and service area. Ventilate when charging or operating
        vehicle
        > in an enclosed area. Wear a full face shield and rubber gloves when
        > working on or near batteries.
        > 2) WARNING
        > Definition:
        > It indicates an immediate hazard that could result in severe
        personal
        > injury or death.
        > Example:
        > WARNING
        > Before allowing anyone to drive the vehicle, make sure the driver
        is
        > familiar with all controls and operating procedures. Do not shift
        the
        > Forward/Reverse handle or switch while the vehicle is in motion. To
        > avoid injury to an unsuspecting passenger or damage to the vehicle,
        > always bring the vehicle to a full stop before shifting the handle
        or
        > switch.
        > 3) CAUTION
        > Definition:
        > It indicates a hazard or unsafe practice that could result in minor
        > personal injury.
        > Example:
        > CAUTION
        > When stopped on a hill, use the brake pedal to hold your position.
        Do
        > not use the accelerator pedal.

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2006
          I think that if faced with an immediate hazard that could result in personal injury or death, I'd want it to be marked with a 'DANGER' sign rather than just a 'WARNING' one. However, the examples under 'Warning' sound fine - it's just the definition that sounds a bit out. While there is a difference between 'will' and 'could,' both speak of immediate hazards, which to me sounds like danger whether the damage will or merely could take place.

          Valerie

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
            I somehow miss next to personal injury and/or death also - damage to
            equipment/property.

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "radekpletka" <RPletka@...> wrote:

            > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
            > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over
            the
            > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
            > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on
            this.
            > Please ASAP. Thank you.
            >
            > 1) DANGER
            > Definition:
            > It indicates an immediate hazard that will result in severe
            personal
            > injury or death.
            > Example:
            > DANGER
            > Explosive gases! Do not smoke. Keep sparks and flames away from the
            > vehicle and service area. Ventilate when charging or operating
            vehicle
            > in an enclosed area. Wear a full face shield and rubber gloves when
            > working on or near batteries.
            > 2) WARNING
            > Definition:
            > It indicates an immediate hazard that could result in severe
            personal
            > injury or death.
            > Example:
            > WARNING
            > Before allowing anyone to drive the vehicle, make sure the driver
            is
            > familiar with all controls and operating procedures. Do not shift
            the
            > Forward/Reverse handle or switch while the vehicle is in motion. To
            > avoid injury to an unsuspecting passenger or damage to the vehicle,
            > always bring the vehicle to a full stop before shifting the handle
            or
            > switch.
            > 3) CAUTION
            > Definition:
            > It indicates a hazard or unsafe practice that could result in minor
            > personal injury.
            > Example:
            > CAUTION
            > When stopped on a hill, use the brake pedal to hold your position.
            Do
            > not use the accelerator pedal.

          • ing.Sárka Rubková
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 24, 2006
              It seems to me that Radek was rather interested in translation of these
              terms to Czech that assessment of their definition and use in English.
              Am I right?

              sarka