DANGER, WARNING, CAUTION

  • radekpletka
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2006
      Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
      terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over the
      place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
      answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on this.
      Please ASAP. Thank you.

      1) DANGER
      Definition:
      It indicates an immediate hazard that will result in severe personal
      injury or death.
      Example:
      DANGER
      Explosive gases! Do not smoke. Keep sparks and flames away from the
      vehicle and service area. Ventilate when charging or operating vehicle
      in an enclosed area. Wear a full face shield and rubber gloves when
      working on or near batteries.
      2) WARNING
      Definition:
      It indicates an immediate hazard that could result in severe personal
      injury or death.
      Example:
      WARNING
      Before allowing anyone to drive the vehicle, make sure the driver is
      familiar with all controls and operating procedures. Do not shift the
      Forward/Reverse handle or switch while the vehicle is in motion. To
      avoid injury to an unsuspecting passenger or damage to the vehicle,
      always bring the vehicle to a full stop before shifting the handle or
      switch.
      3) CAUTION
      Definition:
      It indicates a hazard or unsafe practice that could result in minor
      personal injury.
      Example:
      CAUTION
      When stopped on a hill, use the brake pedal to hold your position. Do
      not use the accelerator pedal.
    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2006
        Radek Pletka apparently wrote as follows on 09/14/2006 04:14 PM:
        > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
        > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over the
        > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
        > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on this.
        > Please ASAP. Thank you.
        >
        > 1) DANGER
        > 2) WARNING
        > 3) CAUTION

        It may depend in part on who is expected to read the material, Radek.
        See http://www.rfsigns.com/RFSigns%20NAB%202004%20rev5.pdf for more than
        you could possibly want to know, including a discussion not only of the
        nature of the risk and the categorization of possible (or likely, or
        reasonably foreseeable or predictable -- take your pick) injury, but
        also the place and the existence of a continuum or of discontinuity in
        the environment immediately where the word is seen or read.

        Also consider some federal law, e.g., 29 C.F.R. § 1910.145(f)(7), which
        says that ``Warning tags may be used to represent a hazard level between
        "Caution" and "Danger," instead of the required "Caution" tag, provided
        that they have a signal word of "Warning," an appropriate major message,
        and otherwise meet the general tag criteria of paragraph (f)(4) of this
        section."``

        And of course there are "Please note," "beware!," "careful!," "lethal,"
        "severe risk," "unsafe," and more. And there are studies of consumer
        perception (or lack thereof) of the kind of distinction intended by the
        CFR. In the end, it's not that I agree or disagree, it's a question of
        the purpose and audience.
      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2006
          Those definitions sound fine to my layman's ears, Radek. But, as
          Michael says, a lot might depend on the context of their usage.
          Coilin

          > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
          > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over
          the
          > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
          > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on
          this.
          > Please ASAP. Thank you.
          >
          > 1) DANGER
          > Definition:
          > It indicates an immediate hazard that will result in severe
          personal
          > injury or death.
          > Example:
          > DANGER
          > Explosive gases! Do not smoke. Keep sparks and flames away from the
          > vehicle and service area. Ventilate when charging or operating
          vehicle
          > in an enclosed area. Wear a full face shield and rubber gloves when
          > working on or near batteries.
          > 2) WARNING
          > Definition:
          > It indicates an immediate hazard that could result in severe
          personal
          > injury or death.
          > Example:
          > WARNING
          > Before allowing anyone to drive the vehicle, make sure the driver
          is
          > familiar with all controls and operating procedures. Do not shift
          the
          > Forward/Reverse handle or switch while the vehicle is in motion. To
          > avoid injury to an unsuspecting passenger or damage to the vehicle,
          > always bring the vehicle to a full stop before shifting the handle
          or
          > switch.
          > 3) CAUTION
          > Definition:
          > It indicates a hazard or unsafe practice that could result in minor
          > personal injury.
          > Example:
          > CAUTION
          > When stopped on a hill, use the brake pedal to hold your position.
          Do
          > not use the accelerator pedal.

        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2006
            I think that if faced with an immediate hazard that could result in personal injury or death, I'd want it to be marked with a 'DANGER' sign rather than just a 'WARNING' one. However, the examples under 'Warning' sound fine - it's just the definition that sounds a bit out. While there is a difference between 'will' and 'could,' both speak of immediate hazards, which to me sounds like danger whether the damage will or merely could take place.

            Valerie

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 16, 2006
              I somehow miss next to personal injury and/or death also - damage to
              equipment/property.

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "radekpletka" <RPletka@...> wrote:

              > Background info - Client wants to standardize translation of those
              > terms. He asked several translators and the results are all over
              the
              > place. I prefer to go with group wisdom on this, so please either
              > answer or agree or disagree, so that we have some consensus on
              this.
              > Please ASAP. Thank you.
              >
              > 1) DANGER
              > Definition:
              > It indicates an immediate hazard that will result in severe
              personal
              > injury or death.
              > Example:
              > DANGER
              > Explosive gases! Do not smoke. Keep sparks and flames away from the
              > vehicle and service area. Ventilate when charging or operating
              vehicle
              > in an enclosed area. Wear a full face shield and rubber gloves when
              > working on or near batteries.
              > 2) WARNING
              > Definition:
              > It indicates an immediate hazard that could result in severe
              personal
              > injury or death.
              > Example:
              > WARNING
              > Before allowing anyone to drive the vehicle, make sure the driver
              is
              > familiar with all controls and operating procedures. Do not shift
              the
              > Forward/Reverse handle or switch while the vehicle is in motion. To
              > avoid injury to an unsuspecting passenger or damage to the vehicle,
              > always bring the vehicle to a full stop before shifting the handle
              or
              > switch.
              > 3) CAUTION
              > Definition:
              > It indicates a hazard or unsafe practice that could result in minor
              > personal injury.
              > Example:
              > CAUTION
              > When stopped on a hill, use the brake pedal to hold your position.
              Do
              > not use the accelerator pedal.

            • ing.Sárka Rubková
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 24, 2006
                It seems to me that Radek was rather interested in translation of these
                terms to Czech that assessment of their definition and use in English.
                Am I right?

                sarka